Slurred speech and bad balance
I have developed symptoms of poor balance and coordination, along with slurred speech. I did not have a stroke and my brain MRI has been viewed as normal by many doctors. One did say my cerebellum might be smaller than normal, and possibly shrinking. What might be a cause and treatment?
IT IS POSSIBLE YOU HAVE PSP - AT THIS TIME THERE IS NO TREATMENT - SO I HOPE YOU DO NOT HAVE IT.  YOUR SYMPTOMS ARE SIMILAR TO MINE AND I HAVE BEEN TO THE MAYO SEEKING A DIAGNOSIS AND HAVE GONE TO TWO NEUROLOGISTS LOCALLY WHO CAN'T OR WON'T DIAGNOSIS IT.  IN FACT THEY HAVE REFERRED ME TO ANOTHER NEUROLOGIST - ONE WHO SPECIALIZES IN MOVEMENT DISORDERS.  FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AT ***@**** FOR FURTHER INFO.
Have you had your thyroid checked?  My mom was diagnosed years ago with underactive thyroid, with those exact symptoms.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Loss of balance with slurred speech can be due to various reasons. Since your brain MRI is clear consider other causes. Basilar migraine, complicated migraine, Parkinson’s disease, transient ischemic attacks, hyperthyroid states, and seizures should all be investigated for.  Do discuss this with your neurologist and get yourself examined accordingly.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Fell off the the whole 30 wagon and I am back to slurred speech, confusion. I realize this may sound crazy but it apears to begin after too much salt intake?  
Rooty,

Can you view replies to my post? I now have three responses. Everything from an underactive thyroid, to a whole variety of other things. I have write them down to ask my Doc. Jimbo
Thanks for your information! I did have a TIA in December of 2006, but did fully recover.I developed my current problems in April of 2008. Seven Doctors later, still no answers..and no mention of PSP,or any of the other things you mentioned. So I'll keep trying to find a solution until I run out of money.
I was recently diagnosed with spino-cerebellar ataxia which began with the same symptoms you are describing - poor coordination/balance and slurring of speech.  The MRI of my brain appeared normal at the time but I was told the size of cerebellum is an indication of this condition.