Speech delayed

I am a mother of a two year old who has a speech delay and has had this issue since he was a year old. He can imitate words , he can speak one word very clearly on his own and that is "apple". He can not verbally express his wants and needs. He gets frustrated because he wants to talk and can't. I took him to see his pediatrician and he referered him to Babies can't wait - It's a program here that deals with special needs in children. I have a special instructor coming out once a week and occupational therapist that comes out 4 times a year and now they just implemented a speech therapist in the mix after 6 mos. He speaks in jargon and he babbles a lot. He will not eat unless it's chips or french fries and he will drink a pediasure and that is what his diet consist of. After 6 mos, the program wants to put my son in  a special education. I spoke with the speech therapist and she said my son does not need to be placed in se. and for me to expose him more to other kids his age and maybe we will see some improvements. I am hoping that if there is anyone out there that is going through this please reach out . My son is seeing an OT specialist and she said my son has some sensory issues.. A lot of what they are telling me is overwhelming and I can't even begin to describe what this is doing to me and my son. I made him an appointment to see a specialist on the 11th and hopefully they will give me some answers.I feel like i am in this all alone and no one seems to understand my concerns for my son. If you have any advice , I am all ears. My son is 2 and half years old. He is not potty trained(not for lack of trying), he still sleeps with me and he will not eat any real foods. His weight is fine and his pediatrician isn't concerned but i am.
First of all, let me say that I know exactly how you feel.  I have a two year old also in OT and speech therapy 4 times per week.  He says some words, but most not clearly.  Also is a VERY picky eater and not potty trained.  I have been on a roller coaster with this for months, but I feel that emotionally I have made progress with it.  I have days when I'm overwhelmed and fear he will NEVER talk.  I have cried myself to sleep over it more than once.  But on the days when I think about it rationally, I know that my son will be alright.  It might take a while, but even if he is a year or two behind, what does that matter in the perspective of a lifetime, and isn't it unreasonable of me to think that he would have reached his verbal peak at two?  

Anyway, I'm still in this.  He's still developing, and still behind, but I'm trying to trust God that He made my boy and loves my boy and designed him just the way he is, and he is an amazing little person.  Loving, friendly, and intelligent, and for now, that is what I have to focus on and what I need to be thankful for, patiently helping him to develop more.

I am sure that your little one will catch up eventually, just try to keep your chin up in the meantime.  I know it's hard.
I have a 26mo old son that I just had evaluated with Early Intervention, and as suspected he has a speech delay.  He is not potty trained either.  A speech therapist will start coming into my home for an hour once a week, and I'm excited for it to begin.  My only regret is I didn't get him checked out sooner.  He says a handful of words, understands tons, babbles and uses jargon, but compared to other 26mo olds he's just not there yet.  I know how you feel.  Every Mom hopes and prays that their child reaches their highest potential, even at the tender age of 2...but it is not your fault, and you can't stress and put the blame on you or your son.  Njrohe is so right...be grateful your son is alive and happy and can utter a sound.  Some babies/toddlers can't/never say a word!  Getting him the help and assistance he needs is to his benefit, and will only strengthen and develop his skills and speech.  As it may seem like an uphill struggle now, the payoff will be worth it!  You are not alone my friend.  Don't give up on your son, they count on us to steer them in the right direction...patience, understanding, love and compassion is what you need to show your son, because he can feel your reaction, and if your reaction to him is positive, determined and consistant he will win and so will you!  Keep us posted!  {{Hugs to you and your little one}}   Pam

You are reading content posted in the Speech & Language Disorders Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?