Speech & Language Disorders Community
482 Members
Avatar universal

Speech studdering and slurping?

Ever since I was little I have always had a problem with studdering my speech. My speech was perfectly fine until I was about 7 when i started studdering. I’m not quite sure what happened but I just started studdering out of nowhere. I try to manage it but it’s very difficult. Lately my studdering has gotten a lot worse and about a few months ago I noticed i started slurping my speech more which has never happened to me before. Like for instance I try to say “getting” and it will come out as “gotting” instead and I can’t control it. Does anybody know what the cause of this might be? Did someone else experience something like this?
2 Responses
973741 tn?1342346373
It's my understanding that studdering is actually closely related to anxiety.  Do you notice it to be worse in certain situations?
I have this problem too. My doctor said the reseon is anxiety. But I can't fix this . please help me.
3060676 tn?1440706544

Speech-Language Pathologist here.

I'm not sure of you age, and if you have other concomitant conditions, but stuttering usually runs in families.  The 3 things that usually determine if a person will continue to stutter into adulthood are: family history, male, over 5 years of age.  

Stuttering many times begins during big life changes, and it can worsen during times of high stress or other life changes.  Examples: some kids begin stuttering when they begin school and demands are placed upon them, or when a new sibling is born, or moving homes- things like that. Stuttering can also increase when more changes or stress be brought on such as: starting a new school, or high school, or beginning a new job, or dating a new partner. Think changes in the way things used to be.  

This happens because as you have more demands placed upon you, the less capacity your brain has to worry about fluent speech.

Another reason for stuttering could be neurogenic stuttering, meaning changes in the brain, such as mini stroke, seizures, or other neurological events.

A good place to start is a speech-language clinic. They can evaluate you if you want to begin fluency therapy, and refer you out if they think it would be something a neurologist needs to look into.  

To find a clinic:
1. You can call your insurance to ask about plans and which clinics would be covered
2. You can visit your primary doctor for a referral to a clinic (probably the easiest option and where I would start).
3. If there is a University near you with a speech language clinic, they are usually at reduced rates.
4. A quick google search in your area can find places you can chat with those clinics

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?