Autism??

Hi. My son just turned 2 in September. He still doesn't "talk"...He does a lot of jargoing. He has been in speech therapy and occupational for about a month now and has shown some improvements. He has made animals sounds for a long time, can point to most body parts, understands basic commands, waves bye bye(and tries to say it), amazing at putting puzzels together, knows how to draw a circle, dots, and lines.He does do a few self stimming like making noises with his mouth. Loves being around other people. My speech therapist said possible High functioning autism, but occupational therapist says she doesn't see that in him....Im confused?!? What does this sound like to you??
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
In my opinion he is still a little too young to get a dx, but that doesn't mean you should stop the therapy. My 5 year old DD has verbal apraxia. Children with autism can have it, but it can come separately too. Verbal apraxia effects the motor movement of the mouth. The child knows what is being said to them and knows what they want to say, thus the jargoning. Your son can do a lot of things my DD still has trouble with, like waving goodbye. Perhaps you should talk to your SLP about this as a possibility. What have you done with him therapy? Has he started learning the PECs picture cards?
Helpful - 0
I asked his therapist about apraxia and she said absolutely not. I have flash cards that I use with him at home that is from your baby can read and he knows every action or animal... Like it shows his nose an he points to his nose or arms up and he will hold his arms up. He does not basic signing for more, open, all done, up. His therapist told me at our last visit that she had talked to his OT therapist an they are both now just thinking it's speech delay bc of everything else he does so well. I just need to be patient I guess... It's so confusing at what to think about it. She tells me that if we were to get an eval done at this time she believes his dx would e PDD-NOS.
Helpful - 0
Is he doing any better now?
Helpful - 0
My daughter also has speech apraxia, and your son sounds a lot like her. She would only babble until she was a little over 2. She has been in speech therapy (early intervention then therapy preschool) since she was 18 months old.

Just keep working with him. Try teaching him some sign language, that helped us tremendously.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Speech & Language Disorders Community

Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
What to expect in your growing baby
Is the PS3 the new Prozac … or causing ADHD in your kid?
Autism expert Dr. Richard Graff weighs in on the vaccine-autism media scandal.
Could your home be a haven for toxins that can cause ADHD?