Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
464 Members

Can I exercise with sciatica?

I've been dealing with severe sciatica pain that radiates from my lower back down to my calf. It sometimes gets so bad I cannot move. I've been seeing a chiropractor for the past two weeks and we've discovered I have a tilted pelvis and curvature of the spine; aside from my dx, the adjustments don't seem to be helping.

My question is, should I still be exercising with this pain or is it worsening the pressure and inflammation of the nerve?

**I am a gymnast and athlete so I spend a lot of time at the gym do hardcore lifting and HIIT. My chiro said to focus on stretching but it hurts so bad I can barely manage it.

Hi Cassiopea and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

With the tilted pelvis and curvature of the spine...look into a possible Ehlers-Danlos DX as it could explain your pain as well as those 2......

Were you ever told you were hyper mobile or double jointed?
Nope, never told that. I don't have any double joints as far as I know, and the only remotely odd thing I can do is stack my fingers atop one another.

Many times for those with hyper mobility in the joints, our muscles tighten up to help hold us together since the other tissues are lax.....this then makes us feel like we are not hyper mobile and can be a false sense of reality.....I only say that bcuz it was my experience and I have seen it on a few others as well....so I would encourage you to look at the Beighton Score for a few clues.....the finger stack is an EDS thing....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0giNi224b8s

Do you have very soft skin, slow to heal, easy to bruise?.....blue/gray sclara....hernias......
I think I'm relatively slow to heal.

I looked at the Beighton score, and out of the tests I could touch my palms to the floor, bend my fingers back, almost touch my thumb to my forearm, and my elbows are hyper extensive.

Does that really explain my sciatica?

It could very well explain the pain....if your connective tissues are lax then your muscles are working harder to help hold things in place...this can cause muscle pains, but joints regardless of where they may be or areas of nerves can be compressed by things that shift out of place.....so something may be compressing your sciatic nerve due to what ever it is, that is not in it's proper place.....just a possibility and a thought.

Being slow to heal is deff an EDS symptom....I am very slow to heal as well....and I bruise like a rotten peach ( my hubby's words) lol.......