Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community
463 Members

Progressive myelomalcia

Iam a 37 year old male.
Back in 2006 I suffered a neck injury which left me needing surgery, I had c5-c6, c6-c7 dics removed and fusion implant (ribera cage), they said my spinal cord was damaged. I have been left with several problems, and pain is extreme at times, constant burning pain in legs, distorted sensation feelings, spastisity, i have lumbar issues to and have had spinal injectios to try and control pain (with no joy), and awaiting another MRI now regarding the lumbar issues.
#The thing is iam really worried about the future, my MRI reports say, I have PROGRESSIVE FOCAL MYELOMALACIA, at levels c5/c6, as a result of the damage done to the spinal cord.
Does the PROGRESSIVE MYELOMALACIA , mean that in time I will be paralized??? I am a very active person (being a personal trainer) prior to the accident, and so veryu worried as to what the future holds.
Could anyone help with regards to my question please??  

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

I am not a medical professional, but in the research I did on this term I found others that had it as well as MS...u may find others that can offer insight in the MS forum, or talk with a Dr as they would be best to answer this type of question as we all can have a similar dx, but be affected by it very differently.

From what I understand this can be a secondary issue, that softens the spinal cord from lack of blood flow to the area, I do not know if increase blood flow is possible and some thing ur Dr should be able to discuss with u.,

Do check out the MS forum and see what they know there about this issue.....http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/MS-and-Myelomalacia/show/461475

BTW- that is an older thread I posted just so u can see it, and to get u to the MS forum.