Avatar universal

Where do I go for help with bowel incontinence from sacral spinal cord injury?

I am a Type 1 diabetic and at the time I broke my tailbone, I was having major issues with my A1C and gastroparesis, so when I started having uncontrollable diarrhea and incontinence, doctors assumed it had something to do with diabetes. After working with gastro doctors around the country, I was given a ano-rectal manometry test and had very abnormal results. The gastro is recommending physical therapy, but he finally conceded it was probably due to my fall. He is unsure if surgery could help me, and my primary care has no idea what to do. I would love to have a plan because living like this has taken a huge toll on my life for the past three years.
1 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
This may require multidisciplinary approach, including but not limited to neurosurgery and rehabilitation.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your response. Do you have any recommendations as to who I should go to? The primary really has no answers for me, and the gastro is sending me to a pelvic floor rehab.
Pelvic floor rehab sounds appropriate. I do not have any recommendations.

You are reading content posted in the Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease