loss of feeling from head to toe? C5 C6 QUAD

In the early 2000s I was paralyzed in a accident the left me a c5 c6 incomplete quadriplegic. I had felling throughout my entire body. They fused my 456 vertebrae so since then I never felt my neck was that stable, and is weak and cracks. just recently about a month ago I was doing exercise and moving my neck and when I woke up I had loss more sensation throughout my body. I loss some movement in my arms. and now have impaired breathing Which has made it difficult to breath. The strange thing is my taste buds are now dull and I have lost a lot of sensation above the level of my injury. my face head and neck. since then its been difficult to use my arms little by little. I Finally got approved by insurance to get a mri done on neck and brain. can anyone please give me answers that might help or what to expect from the mri???? thank you.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

Sorry I do not know what you can expect from the MRI, it could be anything from a pinched nerve to something else completely...wait and see what the testing reveals....

What has your Dr said in regards to the difficulty in breathing?...Push for something to help with this issue....

Helpful - 0
Thank you for responding. My Dr. has no clue and my neurologist has no answers yet until he sees my Mri's I just took Friday. He will look at them Monday. yeah it is almost as if I sustained a higher injury that impaired my breathing. im not able to use my hands and arms the way I used to. I just don't understand why I lost a lot more sensation including all over face neck and head, and dull taste buds. I just have to wait and see what the results say. just don't wanna continue to get worse in the meantime. thank you for responding.  
Helpful - 0

No worries...Good Luck at the Drs....and  do post an update of what you find out .
Helpful - 0

Im continuing to lose more function and sensation from head to toe. so the doctor read my mri and this is what it reads. need help understanding what it means??
Findings:
There is marked straightening of the normal cervical lordotic curve.
At C2- C3, there is a large right uncovertebral hypertrophic spur contributing to right foraminal stenosis.
At C3- C4, there is a 1-2 mm retrolisthesis with a 2mm disc bulge and right lateral disc- uncovertebral hypertrophic changes narrowing the right neural foramen.
At level C4- C5 and C5- C6, there are changes status post fusion with no evidence of central canal nor foraminal stenosis.
There is marked atrophy of the spinal cord starting at C4- C5 level down to the inferior C6 level. The spinal cord at the C4 level measures 6mm anterior to posterior and at C5 -C6 level measures 3 mm with abnormal increased signal.
The spinal cord at the level C7 level measures 4mm.
Following the intravenous administration of gadolinium, there was no evidence of abnormal enhancement.
Impression:
1. Marked abnormalities of the spinal cord with severe atrophy from approximately C4 through C6- C7, greatest at C5 C6 where the anterior- posterior diameter measures 3mm. No enhancement status post Gadolinium.
2. Right foraminal stenosis at C2- C3 and C3 -C4.
3. Changes status post surgery. No evidence of central canal nor foraminal stenosis.
.

Helpful - 0

Did you only have a cervical spine MRI? Did they also do a thoracic spine MRI?
Did they suggest more MRI's?

The issues you have with breathing would come from an issue in the thoracic spine.,...this MRI does not cover that area...

You have some stenosis, an area where the cord is narrow....this can compress the nerves and block CSF flow and cause symptoms,.,.

Look at the spine chart link I have added here...to see if the symptoms match with the areas mentioned...- http://www.chiroone.net/interactive-spine

Ask your Dr what is the next step  in your care....
Helpful - 0
They only did a cervival spine not the thoracic . should the bone spur at c2 cause the symptom's? can the stenosis where the cord is narrow that can block the CSF flow be the cause of losing feeling in face, head, neck as well as the whole body? my dr. read the results and wants to compare a old mri but wants to wait to see what the neurologist says when I see him next week after he gets back from vacation. do these mri read that my neck is stable?
Helpful - 0
Spinal cord atrophy is a degenerative condition that sometimes follows severe cord injury.

Sensory innervation comes from the ascending tracts in of cord generally located in the dorsal and lateral columns (back and side) of the cord, but other tracts in the ventral column (front) also carry certain signals the brainstem.

I think you'll need a thorough neurological examination to determine exactly what's going on here.

Sorry to hear of your difficulty. Best wishes.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for that information. I see my neurologist today and keeo you updated on what he says.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community