Spirituality Community
283 Members

So Sensitive?! Why Sensitivity Is A Gift

by Carolyn Coleridge, MSW

You are too sensitive. Don't be so sensitive! Many people on the spiritual path have heard this criticism over and over again. It is usually meant as a put-down to someone who has a high sense of intuition and a sixth sense 'knowing'. This comment is usually stated with disdain and contempt as a major flaw in an individual's personality. In fact many lightworkers have heard these words, especially as children and it has caused them to close down this gift. "Toughen up..you need thicker skin", usually follows as a comment quickly after to shame and dismiss the individuals' perceptions.

Sensitives are usually quite gifted intuitive spirits as they pick up the less perceived sensations of life. Lightworkers on the planet have heard this comment a lot because they are generally trying to raise their vibrations as they evolve towards spiritual mastery. If you are on a conscious spiritual path you become more intuitive. Intuition, I believe, is God's voice. To hear it you must be sensitive. Spirit speaks to us daily in quiet synchronistic whispers. Sensitives have the ability to perceive the subtle nuances of truth in the physical plane. Hopefully they pick these signals up, follow them and begin to connect to their soul's conscious growth and begin to live more fulfilling and abundant lives.

Lightworkers, who are Spiritual teachers and healers, or those seeking truth, have a conscious plan to raise the vibration of the planet and bring in more positive qualities of kindness, goodness, love and compassion. They also have to balance the warring yin and yang energies that are on the planet. Yin, the more feminine principle is receptive, intuitive, nurturing and healing. Yang the more active principle is assertive, pioneering, instinctual and creative. When harmonious, these energies dance together manifesting birth and death, darkness and light. In conflict they create, evil, abuse, terror and chaos. You must have both energies co-creating to move toward wholeness in the physical realm.

As a psychotherapist and healer for the last ten years, I have noticed that sensitive people are often the ones who are emotionally abused by others. Their sensitivity is viewed as a weakness. Intuitive sensitives are sometimes the kinder spirits who fight for animals' rights, want to spread peace or speak out against child abuse. Since they have been criticized for just being who they are, they often close down and lead sad isolated lives of denying emotions in their soul. The bullies and the abusers, entities that are heralding the dark energies, don't want to lose their ego oriented existence, so they harass the sensitives so they can keep the veil of darkness alive. The ego thrives on chaos. The sensitives are here to pull the curtain back on the wizard, to reveal the trickster and shine a light on the darkness. Mother Earth and Father God are asking us to start speaking the truth to restore heaven on earth. It is the mission of many, you have heard the call, now it is time to honor your gift of sensitivity. Sensitive people will bring this planet towards a higher vibration. So we need the armies of sensitives to trust their guts, create their dreams, fulfill their missions and listen to the intuitive voice of God and not the abusive voice of the darkness. You were made sensitive for reason, be proud of it!

The universe is supporting you, but sensitives must protect themselves from the harsh energies on the planet. Here are some easy ways to do this.

1) Trust your Gut and start to believe the still small voice that is inside of you. Praise yourself when you intuit something and you were right. Always honor your spirit.

2) Speak your truth. Sensitives must not hold in their emotions. It becomes toxic to their bodies as negative feelings lay dormant in the body temple. Let out the negativity in constructive healing ways.

3) Protect yourself from negative energies. This can be removing toxic people from your life. Getting out of abusive relationships or situations. Trying to be more positive and inspiring to others instead of critical and pessimistic.

4) Meditate regularly, with grounding exercises. Meditation raises your vibrations and heightens your intuition. You begin to get stronger with your gut instincts and receive more messages on how to create your life purpose. As you live your life purpose, you feel less tired and depressed and more uplifted. Your sensitivity becomes a gift as you now have a focus and reason for being here.

5) Connect with God. Say prayers and ask God questions. What do you want me to learn today? What is the higher purpose of this? How can I serve? God likes to hear us speak to him/her. I believe he created us so she could see his/her own expression and become more inspired… so don't leave him hanging!

6) Receive energy work. Reiki, pranic healing, acupuncture, or massage. Sensitives must work with their energies and remove toxins that build up in their energy fields. It is like a shower for your auric field. Sage and incense also clears energy in your home, since sensitives have a tendency to be psychic sponges, you need to remove the maladaptive energies. Don't forget about getting into nature, a great energy clearer.

7) Find your life purpose. You are sensitive for one reason..to hear the source. God has a plan for everyone on this planet and it mostly coincides with yours. The more sensitive you are the more likely you have a heightened antennae to the source. Don't cloud that transmission. Tune in to KGOD- Keep Good Open Dialogue. It's a great Radio station that can help you feel fulfilled -. receive your daily inspirational messages.

8) Keep the Yin and Yang Balanced, especially the qualities of Gratitude and Forgiveness. Gratitude, puts you in a positive space to attract better outcomes. And like the Yin energy, pulls in better life outcomes. Forgiveness is about actively releasing negative energy. To give forth. The yang is about actively releasing stagnant emotions. Energy must be in balance for lightworkers and sensitives. There has to be a flow. Leave the swamps for the egoic alligators of the world. Stuck in their own muck.

With the light acceleration on the planet, sensitivity is absolutely necessary to listen and pull down the higher vibrations. These vibrations are full of light and love and of beautiful qualities .To be an open channel to divine expression, whether it be art, music, writing or inspiration you must be sensitive. So next time, someone criticizes you by saying, "You are so sensitive!" Say yes, I need to be to hear God's voice, it is the quiet whisper on the planet and I don't want to miss my loving instructions. Unlike you I don't want to mute the sound! Okay you can be a little nicer than that, but they will get the point. Yes I am soo sensitive that I hear and live the truth. Much love and blessings lightworkers!

http://www.byregion.net/articles-healers/Sensitive.html
I must have missed this before.  I like this, I  think there is a lot of good stuff in here.

One thing in particlar that jumps out at me is the part about gratitude.  It is interesting to me to ponder the difference between gratitude, and thankfullnes, or appreciation.  They are all kind of similar, but gratitude has a certain nuance that is really hard to express in language.

Does this strike anyone else similarly?
I just had an interesting lesson in sensivity here on Medhelp.  I knew yesterday morning when I first posted this, that a mistake was made when it showed up in Current Events. (I had several tabs open in browser and thought I put it here first.  I couldn't take it back out, but re-posted it here where it should have been to begin with.  I went off to work and later when I got back & got online, I saw that April had responded in the CE group to it.  I replied that I mistakenly posted it there and replied to what she wrote.  Others wrote & it was well received, or so I thought...till about 15 min. or so ago when I got on for the first time today & read my message from the moderator.  I had to send a reply message re-explaining what happened.  It had been removed, which didn't bother me anyway as it was never meant to be there to begin with.  Interesting that it got more responses than it did here.  You are the first to reply on this.  

I think a lot of sensitive people won't reply because they are not sure what to say, or if it will be received in a good way.  I know there are times i don't say anything because someone else said something that was pretty much what I would have said or I think they said it better or that I am not sure that it won't be taken in a wrong way.

We have letter of the law people who fault find anything that doesn't fit the criteria and leave no leeway for mistakes and we have others who don't care who, what, where and when.....interesting how people perceive things.

Personally, I treasure those who are forgiving and understanding and who encourage others to be the best they can be and find ways to say...don't give up or maybe take a break and try again, or have you thought about doing it "this way" or "that way"...but it is your choice.

It is a good topic because we live in a changing society where we are not to favor one religion over another or race over another, yet those who are highly sensitive can see through the facades in the law and how people find other ways to disguise their intentions so they won't be easily detected.  

I will not throw the Bible out because there is so much truth about "motives" etc.and it is very convicting.  One example being how Jesus vented against the pharisees who cared more about "appearances" than how they were on the inside.  They devised rules, etc. to keep others out....they wanted to maintain control and be in charge.  They truly believed their way was right.

City ordinances...say you have to do this/that ...example:  paint is chipping and you get a letter telling you that you have so many days to get something in the works to get your house, etc. painted.  You can ask for an extension & give the reasons why, but do they care that you cannot afford it?  Do they care you will have to get a loan and go into debt?  Where is the compassion?  Oh, if you can't afford it, you should have it?

With that kind of reasoning, none of us should have anything because we are not perfect and we lose our tempers, and make mistakes, make wrong choices that lead to someone being hurt.  Oh, but then what is the percentage rate?  Some have made "less" choices, hurt "less".....and so goes on.  What is the point?

Meanwhile, city is broke and crime is up and people are discouraged as jobs are practically non-existent. Less police officers to patrol areas...less teachers so more kids crammed into rooms receiving less help.  So they focus on what they can do to keep the image up, but the true things going on that are breaking down the structure go untended for many reasons.

Makes me think of what Jesus said about them being "white-washed tombs (sepulchres)"  He had strong words of admonition.  They didn't have "love" for people.  It was about their image, their position and their control.

We need a good understanding of what sensitivity is and how it can best be used for everyone's benefit.  We do have different personality types and it helps to understand them so we can work differences out :-)
.......
I was wondering where that thread went! I never did see what you responded back to me. Why was it removed? Was it considered too religious for that CE forum or something?
Actually it was.  I had responded & told you I mistakeningly posted it there as I had several tabs open & it was 5 a.m. in the morning before work....lol. I couldn't retract it but reposted here & then went to work. Some others put replies & so I thought it was ok there.  Yesterday when I got on, I saw a message from Steve that it wasn't current events.  I sent him a message explaining what happened & saw that the thread had been removed.  End of story....lol.

It is a good subject and one that we run into a lot from lack of sensitivity to being accused of being over-sensitive.  

............"I will not throw the Bible out because there is so much truth about "motives" etc.and it is very convicting.  One example being how Jesus vented against the pharisees who cared more about "appearances" than how they were on the inside.  They devised rules, etc. to keep others out....they wanted to maintain control and be in charge.  They truly believed their way was right. "........

I think his "beef" with the pharisees is more than just a story about the life and opinions of a carpenter.  The story about the pharisees is one that applies to all people, in all times, of all religions.

It is the story of the "haves" vs. the "have nots" (rich v. poor, meek v. hubris, etc.)

I take a lot from that story.  

It is easy for religion to be used by someone to "prove" their own self worth.  Sometimes people like to feel "superior" in their chosen religion.  It is an easy trap to fall into.  There are myriad ways for someone to be a pharisee.  They are everywhere. ;(
I look at the Bible as being a mirror.  It reflects a person's heart.  We see what we want to see.  If we want permission to do something, we will find a way to arrange the lines so they fit our reasoning.  Continually asking "what is truth" keeps the heart pointed in the right direction.

Today I was meditating on "cleansing"..."purifying"...."healing".  Cleansing is crucial to our well-being and not just external.  I watched the rabbits cleaning themselves this morning....the chipmunk pops out of his home & cleans himself.

When people are not well mentally or physically, they have a hard time keeping it up.

I asked a question in another group about what is a seared conscience.  I wanted to get perspectives from others as conscience is the means for sensitivity to be shown to God's spirit in dealing with good/evil...right/wrong.  

The example of the frog in the water is often used to explain how someone gets used to things that are dangerous until it is too late.  Cauterized is the way preachers explain a seared conscience.

I remember years ago a pastor sharing a story about a dog that would run off.  The person called for it, and it would ignore the calling to go play.  Then one day, it no longer heard the call.  He said that is how it is with God trying to reach us with His truths.  We cease to listen/have a sensitivity to His voice.

This is one of the most inspiring, understandably beautiful words of wisdom and that I have ever came across. The perspective on yin and yang were absolutely wonderful and true. I am a balance seeker. I have a yin yang tattoo inside of a swampy tree with a lotus above it all. My tattoo is very spiritual to me.

Thank you for your post is has lifted light out of my soul. I needed that. I sometimes get caught up in the darkness and negativity of this complex existence. I LOVE what you've said about the Bible! Ive had many contemplations about the Bible. I use to be pentecostal, baptist, and Ive practiced Wicca. I believe now that all Gods are One. And there are MANY gateways to reach the One and only God. I believe in religious diversity because ALL religion is Good.
All religion is Positive.
All religion is Light, the goodness of our souls. I do not consider myself a religious being but a spiritual being. I believe that Jesus is personally 'my' gateway to forgiveness and renewal. I think Buddha is another gateway for those that are called to Him. And so on and so forth. I LOVE Wicca but I'm scared of what people say about mixing the Two.

Please give me your advice. Am I wrong to love Wicca and Jesus to?

I am very glad you found something that made you feel good about yourself and gave you some encouragement.  There are so many ways to go, aren't there?  I believe that we each must do our own wrestling and reaching out for truth.  I also believe our sincerity in seeking the truth is a beacon that God sees.  He will draw us to Him and we will be able to let go of what is not for us to hold onto...it is our choice and we cannot do it until we are ready.

For me, I have chosen to believe that Jesus is the only way to God.   I could interpet the passage in the Bible about having other sheep to mean other nationalities or other beliefs or even aliens on another planet.  I realized that years ago.   It is through faith.  In other words, I am staking it all on it being true. It was my starting point.  I felt more lost in the new age as there wasn't any way to know if one thing was more sure than another. I love new age music.  So many beautiful thoughts. However, I felt safer staying close to Jesus/God/Holy Spirit. That is not to admit that I don't struggle with the theology.  I have been accused of being too intellectual and it is hard for me as I cannot prove a darn thing...lol!  It is subjective in the end as to what I believe God is in my life and how He set me free.   I go exploring to understand life and how things came to be.

There are stages I believe we go through.  During one, I so enjoyed reading Abraham Heschel's writings.  I cling to God first and foremost because I believe in Him over all other possibilities and believe He knows the ways in which we get lost...so around and around I go back to what cemented my view that God sees the desire we truly have to know the truth and He will lead us home.  Home sweet home, there is no place like home....home sweet home, be it ever so humble.

I believe in love and learning how to love others.  Compassion, kindness...the fruits of the spirit that mentioned in the bible....haven't read every wisdom book by every religion to know if the same things are said....so if you know more about that, share by all means.

If I tell you that to love Wicca and Jesus is wrong, what would you think and feel?  It is your decision to make.

What do you love about Wicca?  What do you love about Jesus?  Where do you see that they come together?  Would you help us understand your perspective?

Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6. He was plainly saying there was no other way to God except through him.
Here's another one:

John 10:1-5
" 1.I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber.2 The man who enters by the gate is the Shepherd of his sheep.3 The watchmen opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.5 But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."

Broken down, read it again:

Jhn 10:1 "I assure you, anyone who sneaks over the wall of a sheepfold, rather than going through the gate, must surely be a thief and a robber!

Jhn 10:2 For a shepherd enters through the gate.

Jhn 10:3 The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep hear his voice and come to him. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

Jhn 10:4 After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they recognize his voice.

Jhn 10:5 They won't follow a stranger; they will run from him because they don't recognize his voice."

Jhn 10:6 Those who heard Jesus use this illustration didn't understand what he meant,

Jhn 10:7 so he explained it to them. "I assure you, I am the gate for the sheep," he said.

Jhn 10:8 "All others who came before me were thieves and robbers. But the true sheep did not listen to them.

Jhn 10:9 Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. Wherever they go, they will find green pastures.

Jhn 10:10 The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give life in all its fullness.

Jhn 10:11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

Jhn 10:12 A hired hand will run when he sees a wolf coming. He will leave the sheep because they aren't his and he isn't their shepherd. And so the wolf attacks them and scatters the flock.

Jhn 10:13 The hired hand runs away because he is merely hired and has no real concern for the sheep.

Jhn 10:14 "I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me,

Jesus was pretty clear here. He is claiming to be the Messiah, God's son, and the only way to God the Father. He says any other way, any other gate is a lie, a deception from the devil.

As C. S. Lewis said in one of his books (I believe it was Mere Christianity. Awesome book, by the way! It gives some good historical accounts of who Jesus Christ was/is), he said "Either Jesus was a liar, a lunatic or he was telling the truth." Which was it? If he was telling the truth then he is who he claimed to be, the Messiah, the one and only way to the Father. If he was a liar or a lunatic it would have been revealed. It certainly would have come out when he was dying an agonizing death on the cross. I don't know anybody who would be able to hold up under that kind of pressure and not give in unless they were telling and living the truth. It's up to you what you want to believe. I believe he is who he says he is.

We must be very careful playing around with other religions. God is a jealous god and will not share his glory with another. He will not stand in a long line of our "gods". He wants to be first and only in our lives.
Wicca is a form of witchcraft, which is forbidden in the bible so if you truly love Jesus and want to follow him then you will want to please him and not grieve him or put other things before (or even beside him).
When we choose to follow Christ we do give up our lives to live for him but what we gain cannot even be measured. It is so worth it!

(((God, as viewed by many different religions;)))

A Cherokee prayer blessing.

"May the warm winds of heaven blow softly upon your house,
May the Great Spirit bless all who enter there,
May your moccasins make happy tracks in many snows,
And may the rainbow always touch your shoulder."

An Apache marriage blessing:

"Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be the shelter for the other.
Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be the warmth to the other.
Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you.
Go now to your dwelling, to enter into the days of your life together,
and may your days be good and long upon the earth."

Buddhism, The 3 trainings or practices;

1.)    Virtue, good conduct, morality. This is based on two fundamental principles:
The principle of equality: that all living entities are equal.   The principle of reciprocity: This is the "Golden Rule" in Christianity -- to do onto others as you would wish them to do onto you. It is found in all major religions.

2.)    Samadhi: Concentration, meditation, mental development. Developing one's mind is the path to wisdom which in turn leads to personal freedom. Mental development also strengthens and controls our mind; this helps us maintain good conduct.

3.)    Prajna: Discernment, insight, wisdom, enlightenment. This is the real heart of Buddhism. Wisdom will emerge if your mind is pure and calm.

Quotes and Facts on Paganism;

"We are not evil. We don't harm or seduce people. We are not dangerous. We are ordinary people like you. We have families, jobs, hopes, and dreams. We are not a cult. This religion is not a joke. We are not what you think we are from looking at T.V. We are real. We laugh, we cry. We are serious. We have a sense of humor. You don't have to be afraid of us. We don't want to convert you. And please don't try to convert us. Just give us the same right we give you--to live in peace. We are much more similar to you than you think." Margot Adler 4

Their main rule of behavior is the Wiccan Rede which forbids them from harming people, including themselves, except in some cases of self-defense.

Most of Christianity is highly centralized within denominations whose beliefs, rituals, and other practices are well documented and available to us. So we describe the diversity of Christian beliefs in great detail.

*       Wiccans worship a Goddess and her consort, a God.
* They do not recognize Satan or any other all-evil supernatural entity.
* Their prime symbol is the exact opposite to the symbol used by Satanists. It is the upright pentagram -- a 5-pointed star with two points downward and one up. Sometimes it is enclosed by a circle to form a pentacle.
* Their groups are called covens, not grottos or temples.
* Their rule of behavior is called the Wiccan Rede: "An it harm none, do what thou wilt." i.e. do whatever you wish, as long as it harms no one, including yourself. Unlike Satanists, Wiccans are not allowed do dominate, manipulate, control, or harm others.

They believe that they worship neither the Christian God nor the Christian devil. They worship a Goddess and a God. Neither is at all similar to Satan. Wicca, and other forms of Neopaganism, are as different from Satanism as Hinduism is from Christianity.

"Religious tolerance means to refrain from discriminating against others who follow a different religious path. Tolerance is more difficult to maintain when you  know that your religion is true and their religion is wrong."

Religious Tolerance;  accepting all religious faiths as being equally true. This is one meaning of the phrase "religious pluralism." Since religions teach different beliefs, this definition of tolerance implies that absolute truth doesn't exist. Most religious conservatives reject these beliefs, and regard their own faith as the only absolutely true belief system. Thus, many conservatives believe that religious tolerance -- using their definition of the term -- is evil.

"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." Paul, Ephesians 3:16-19 (NIV)

"Every sect is a certificate that God has not plainly revealed his will to man. To each reader the Bible conveys a different meaning."

"There will be peace on earth when there is peace among the world religions." Hans Küng.

Thank you for the scriptures. I personally have been "reborn" and saved through Jesus, my Lord.  He is my Lord. He speaks to me in many different ways. I am a believer. I feel I don't have to attend church regularly to have a relationship with Him. Although I have gained so much knowledge through hearing the gospel. It is nice, I think I may go to church again sometime soon :)  But I also believe in the right of "religious diversity"
There are so many Beautiful Spiritual gateways open to see the wonderful works of God. I feel the Holy Spirit upon me now it is truthfully the greatest way to feel. I use to have trouble receiving the light of the Holy Spirit until I REALLY met Jesus. I would not be alive today without His loving mercy and salvation! THAT is the truth. But getting 'plugged in' to a religion isn't the path I choose. It is and is not for some.

Buddhism, paganism, ect.. is not evil.
They are not negative.
Their colors may shine differently, but this does not mean they are wrong.

(((Our own conscience))) God and the devil's playground. Our conscience is where we discern right from wrong. Conformity to one's own sense of right conduct.The awareness of a moral or ethical aspect to one's conduct together with the urge to prefer right over wrong: Let your conscience be your guide. A good conscience is in all truth or fairness.

God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Mother Earth, and everything positive in this existence guides me through my own conscience.

The reason I am so interested in paganism is because the religion is absolutely beautiful. Yes, they believe in God. No Jesus may not be "their way" of reception. Paganism has a long history and I respect that. I also respect my Lord and do not wish to dismay Him.  I just feel that there are many gateways to the One God of this existence. I think as long as I opening admit that Jesus is my Lord and Savior above all, it is not harmful or wrong to reach the light from other portals.

I hope this makes a little bit of sense lol And I REALLY have NO intentions on discriminating or offending any beliefs because they are the truth. The truth. Never in History has anyone agreed and or establish what truth is. Because truth is our personal understanding of what is good, and true.
Thank you for sharing what you see are better aspects of each area.  I mentioned the Biblical Analysis group to you because that is a place where those who want to get into the for/against could share their positions citing sources.

This group is for sharing  what being spiritual is and most see it as a connection to God but how they are connected varies.  It is good to share because someone may be struggling and what is posted may just be what they needed to encourage or point them in a better direction.  Some need affirmation that they are on track.

We struggle with what it means to love in challenging times and to continue doing it when we are hurting or others are hurting and don't seem to notice or misunderstand our intentions.  Hurt people hurt people.  I think there was a book by that name.

CrazyKc,
I respect your right to believe what you want to believe. It's all a choice we make. You had asked if it was ok to love Jesus and love Wicca. I told you how Jesus feels about that. He says if we follow him we must give up ALL to follow him and put NO other gods before or even beside him.
The God of the Christian bible never has been nor ever will be tolerent of other gods or other religions. He made that pretty clear all through scripture. So, again, it just boils down to what you want to believe and the choices you want to make. It sounds to me like you've already made that choice.
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.