Stress Community

Anxiety Induced Anorexia?

I am a 22 year old female. I have been clean off of drugs for a year. This being said, I have became more health conscious but im starting to feel like it has gone too far.

My first problem is that eating is difficult and at this point I feel like I have developed anorexia. But it is not due to my self image, I have always been skinny, I know im not fat and I never have felt fat, if anything..I wish I could gain weight. When I eat too much, I get very tired. If I eat breakfast in the morning, I feel so sluggish the entire day, so I always skip breakfast. By the time I actually eat something, I have to be very careful HOW much I eat. Usually I can only stomach half a bagel, A full bagel at one sitting will make me feel sluggish and I start to feel unmotivated and unproductive and it makes it difficult to get threw the day. By the time I am done my daily work and activities and I am ready to eat, it is too late at night for me to order food or im simply so lazy I just dont care to eat, or I eat something small like ramen noodles so im not starving. Most of the time, that is the brunt of what I eat each day. Eating is SO MUCH FUN, i LOVE EATING, but I hate the way i feel after so I try to control how much I eat. I also start to become paranoid that I have heart problems and every time I eat something I am afraid I will start to feel pain in my heart or somewhere else in my body. Im thinking this is anorexia induced by anxiety? Is that possible? What could I start to do about this? Anyone else share a similar experience?

My period is late and I am starting to believe it could be from this problem. I have also recently had a copper IUD removed that has caused me MANY HEALTH PROBLEMS and i believe that could have contributed to my health anxiety as well

Any similar stories would be appreciated!!!?

I have not experienced what you are going through but all I know is that people need to eat healthy meals at least 3 times a day especially breakfast. We need food to energize us and strengthen our immune system. I think that you need to see a doctor in order to know what causes the lack of appetite and sluggishness that you're having.

I am a 20 year old female, and I am going through almost exactly the same thing. I'm super health conscious, and ve food, but I am too stressed to eat or I forget. Though, none of this is intentional, I feel unhealthily skinny. I have lost about 30 lbs. in the past 9 months, bringing me to about 103 lbs. I want to gain weight so badly, but it's like I just keep losing more. My therapist tells me it is an immune system imbalance? Lots of times it isn't just not eating causing issues. Are you getting restful sleep and exercise?? Stress and anxiety are crazy crazy things that can so easily cause all kinds of hormonal, emotional, and physical imbalances. Maybe pinpoint some stressful things that are easily in your control and work your way into healing those areas of your life. Perhaps that will trigger some positivity and growth in your life in general, this giving you more of an appetite? Remember, though, the stomach is a muscle and you probably won't be able to eat a lot initially, but little by little stretch it and make it possible to eat more and more each day. I hope this has been helpful, and I hope you feel better by now. I just didn't want you to think you were in this alone. I am living this struggle as well, and I know it is not as easy as a piece of cake. As much as I wish it was. It's really difficult and seemingly impossible to find others who understand this uncomfortable position. Thank you for reaching out.