Stress Community

Bells Palsey

Is it possible to get Bells Palsey again
Yes. My brother's paternal grandfather got it 3 times in his life. The second time he lost most of his ability to smile normally and it didn't fully leave. After the third time he was permanently paralyzed on that side of his face. (Although it was suggested that the third time wasn't Bell's Palsy but a minor stroke as he died from a major stroke several years later.) Unfortunately I don't think it's known what causes it, so a repeated occurrence is unpreventable.
yes it is possible but id be very careful as it u might think its bells palsey when could be a stroke
You should see a Neurologist.  Any recurrent palsy of a cranial nerve (Bell's Palsy is CN 7 palsy) can also be a sign of multiple sclerosis.  An MRI of the brain and c-spine may be in order.

Bob
Thanks for info
See a sleep center. Recurrent "Bells Palsy" is actually very characteristic of narcolepsy with cataplexy. In fact, often times, it's not "Bells Palsy," but cataplexy. Viruses and some vaccines (namely the H1N1) can actually precipitate this, but it can happen seemingly in random fashion, too.

I went undiagnosed for about 15-20 years, until I finally saw a sleep specialist and she nailed the diagnosis right away. The vast majority of doctors have absolutely no idea what it is or what it looks like, and no routine lab tests, MRI, CT scan, x-ray or anything of that nature will detect it. 75% of people with narcolepsy never get diagnosed in their lifetime.

It doesn't look the way you think it looks. Common misdiagnoses are depression, epilepsy, and migraines. I struggled for years to find an answer, and was misdiagnosed several times. I had it with just sleepiness during the day and what looked like insomnia at night for probably about 15-20 years before I ended up with more serious symptoms of narcolepsy that actually included cataplexy (random muscle weakness that can either be isolated, or widespread).

The cataplexy manifested first in my face, as what looked like episodes of Bells Palsy that came and went when I was tired, stressed, or even when I was happy and smiling.  But when I paid closer attention I realized I got weakness and twitching (not uncommon) in my other muscles sometimes too, though I chalked it up to clumsiness until I paid attention. I also had issues with my vision randomly and sleepiness.

I was tested for epilepsy, migraines, MS, all kinds of things. But nope, it turned out to be narcolepsy!!

Get seen by a sleep center!
Thanks for info.
Yes you can catch Bells Palsy more than once. One difference is using something sharp give it a poke if you can feel it It's Bells Palsy. I had it once when I was 16 . It changed my looks forever. Even now When Doctors see it on my chart they look at me and say "They see it". Thankfully it wasn't a stroke. Something puts pressure on a nerve and there it is.