Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

my back when I get

When I get stressed or overwhelmed and frustrated I dig at my back. Nothing is there but I dig until the release from the blood calms me down and other times excites me more. I dig until I pull the pores out of my back. I can feel them in my body as I pull them out. Why do I do this
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
15439126 tn?1444443163
A combination of nervous tension and habit at this point, and it does provide you with some relief. %his appears to have become your preferred way to manage stress or frustration.

It is extremely difficult to stop a bad habit.  But, changing or altering a bad habit can be far less challenging.  

My suggestion:  start wearing a rubber band around your wrist.  When you next get stressed, overwhelmed or frustrated, instead of dig in at your back, snap the rubber band painfully against your wrist.  Do not expect to remember to do this consistently at first, but after awhile this may become your new coping mechanism being used consistently, and is far less damaging than your present practice.

To avoid getting stressed or overwhelmed and frustrated in the first place, you might consider learning and practicing relaxation techniques such as meditation and doing calming routines (such as working on simple puzzle books when you feel nervous tension is building up).
Helpful - 0
13768229 tn?1432435888
Where do you get excited? The pain or seeing blood or both? If you say yes to any or all of these I think you might want to consult a therapist.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Stress Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
80052 tn?1550343332
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.