Stroke Community

85 yr old mother's stroke

My mother (85 yrs old) had a massive stroke, can not eat, swallow, move her left arm or leg.  Doctor said her right side brain is dead. What, if any, are her chances?  Full recovery is said to be out, left side is completely paralyzed,
no vision in her left eye.  My sister and I live more than 10 hours from her.
Chances of her gaining use of the left side are slim to none, to be blunt, With her age, physical and occupational therapy is rough, and with the severe loss of senseory and motor use she has now, it would be a long haul. I worked in skilled nursing facilities for a long time and even did a private duty live-in case with a stroke patient. What I suggest is you and your sister get together and talk about what you guys want to do, and most important, what is best for your mother. I worked in a family that was fighting all the time and that was certainly not beneficial. Yes, you live 10 hours away, so can you afford to get your mom a care giver? It would have to be a live-in one. What about a home care agency, does she have insurance? Are skilled nursing facilities an option? I suggest if you go that rought you go in person to each one and stay for at least an hour, especially during meals, to see how the residents are treated, and how friendly the staff are. After all, thats where your mom will be living. What I have found, is that no matter what, in her heart, your mom probably knows you love her and what you are going to do for her is best. Can one of you move to live with her? Phone calls to her daily will show her you care, even weekly. And I do have to mention, as a recent Hospice nurse, one important thing if you do not already have them is to get her to sign Advance Directives-which dictate what she wants to happen in the event of a catastrophe, and who she wants to make decisions for her when she is not able to do so. Also think about signing a DNR-Do not resuscitate and Power of Attorney who handles the money situation. A lot I know when you are in the midst of a crisis. But it's important right now to be strong, take action, and get settled and in a routine. This will help your mother better adjust and get out of a state of limbo. As a RN, I would reccomened either a 24 hour caregiver, experienced and who you can trust, or a nice, small, private skilled nursing. I like to take the caregiver route myself as I find people like to stay home. To be honest you can find caregivers through agencies or even on Craigs list if you interview them, You can also work with a home agency who covers all medical equipment such as a hospital bed. I appologize for the long talk, just wanted to get as much info out there as I could. I wish you both and your mother the best of luck and happiness.

Sara RN