Stroke Community

After stroke and huge appetite?

My mom(61years old) had a stoke 2 weeks ago. The stroke affected on left side of her body. She just discharged from the hospital and she is home. Her swallowing ability almost completely came back, and now she is asking for food ALL THE TIME, and it seems she will never be full. In the hospital we noticed she got a big appetite but we thought she may be board and that is why she asking for more food. She is over weight and she needs to loos weight or at least not gain weight. I am wondering if there is any relationship between stroke and high appetite. Thanks in advance.

The usual effect of stroke to patients is loss of apetite. I am not aware of any researches that relates stroke to increased food intake. This could be a coping mechanism. However, as you mentioned, there should be a reduction of weight as part of the management of her condition.  With hypertension, diet should be low on the salt and fatty portions. With heart conditions, diet should be low on the fatty or cholesterol portions. It would also be good to have her Ideal Body Mass Index computed to see how she fares on the scale.

Take care and keep us posted.