Stroke Community

Aspirin during Pregnancy and after Stroke

I am 27 weeks pregnant and had a stroke last May 2009.  No cause was found despite countless labs and tests.  My gut tells me it was the Microgestin birth control pills but that's neither here nor there now.  My neurologist has been treating me with 325mg aspirin since May 2009, and now wants to consider putting me on Plavix.  My OB Specialist is aware of the aspiring regimen, and has reviewed several other options in preparation for delivery.  After much deliberation, my husband and I opted to discontinue the aspirin 2 weeks prior to the anticipated delivery- either elective C-section at the 38th week...or via vaginal delivery at term so that any anesthesia needs will be available.

My questions are as follow:
What are the implications of changing medication this late in pregnancy?
What risks are present if I elect to discontinue the aspirin as suggested for the 2 weeks, then resume after the birth?
Is Plavix or Heparin "better" medications to consider at this point and will I be able to take either through delivery of the baby?
If birth control is the most likely cause of the stroke, is the likelihood that I will have another stroke still as high?

Any advice you may offer is welcomed.  We are consulting with both doctors next week for their continued input.

Thanks,
KrysLassy09

This discussion is related to Medication.