Stroke Community

Brain Stem Stroke

Seven months ago my brother had a Brain Stem Stoke. In brief he has gone from only being able to blink his eyes to some,although rough speech, and some movement in the left leg and left arm (ie:allowing him to turn pages in a book limited writing, assisted standing and walking with a walker or with aid of parallel bars). His right side is the most affected side even though he his right handed.He has had minimual therapy. What books can I get to help me help him? What Mechinal aids such as is there a wheelchair walker combination to aid him in standing and learning to walk? Where can I find real help?
Hello Dear,

Brainstem strokes are small but the most devastating The brain stem is the area of the brain that controls all of our involuntary, "life-support" functions, such as breathing rate, blood pressure and heartbeat. The brain stem also controls abilities such as eye movements, hearing, speech and swallowing
Inefficiency of the brain stem to send impulses, coordination of muscle action and control, fine movement, coordination, and balance is affected after the stroke.
You should consult your neurologist and shift her to a good rehabilitation centre as patients continue to improve for years, regaining and strengthening abilities like writing, walking, running, and talking. Daily rehabilitation exercises should continue to be part of his routine. Complete recovery is unusual but not impossible and most patients will improve to some extent : a correct diet and exercise are known to help the brain to self-recover.
Best