Stroke Community

Can recovery continue even after 5 years from the hemorrhage?

I had an intracerebral hemorrhage when I was 21.  The left side of  my body was affected, particularly the mobility and proprioception of my left arm and leg.  

I am currently 27 and am still dealing with left arm/leg paresis.  I have improved quite a bit over the years and am able to walk, move my arms, and conduct almost all daily activities.  However, there are still some movements and sensations that have not returned: I still cannot move my left ankle outward; the left toes have limited movements; I have difficulty balancing on my left foot; and I still have proprioception problems on the left side.

My question is, how long does the recovery process continue?  Now that it is over 6 years after the bleeding, is it still possible to keep improving? I have been keeping up with therapy at home, but are there something more helpful for someone like me?  Although it is relatively minor, I am hoping that I can still improve.  

Your reply is greatly appreciated.
I am told that the first 90 days after a stroke usually shows the most improvement. The next 90 days shows less. At one year, improvement slows to a crawl. I am also told that, even though it's slow, improvements can continue with a well motivated patient. Keep at it and NEVER GIVE UP. Best of luck.