Stroke Community

Dealing with Post-Stroke Depression, Anger, OCD etc

My mother had a stroke a few years ago- while at first she made good progress going to physical therapy and monitoring her health (she also has T 2 diabetes) , she has worsened significantly in the last few years. She never exercises, cheats on her diet whenever possible (she loves sweets), refuses to take antidepressants despite showing all signs of needing them, and is generally angry, irritable, obsessively nervous and worrying.  She rarely ever has a positive thing to say, she loses her temper easily, has little patience, cries several times a day and has trouble both speaking clearly and walking straight. Every time I take her to the doctor to address these problems, she puts on a Hollywood act that everything's fine and denies all of these behaviors. She is in complete denial about her mental issues in particular and insists she's fine.

How can I go about getting her to go back to therapy, start making positive changes in her life and to begin taking medication for her depression? She needs it desperately.
My husband had 4 brain hemorrhages since last June.  He's 56 and I'm 45.  I am having/had the same problem as you.  They put him on one depression medicine, and it made him almost suicidal.  He quit the medicine after a month.  And kept threatening to quit all meds.  When we went to his last Doctor appointment, about a month ago, he got mad at me, but I brought it up with the Doctor.  He gave in and went on Citalaprom once a day.  It has helped. I am finally to the point where I am going to get counseling (in my spare time...Ha) to help me deal with his moods.........etc!!!!
Any other questions or suggestions for me.  This is my first time on a chat like this about his stroke.
mckinleyr