Stroke Community

Home care

My mom is 81. Mothers Day she had a stroke at a restaurant. She was able to get the  tpa within the 4 hour window. She was in the hospital until Friday and has been in a rehab center ever since. I see little improvement. Rehab ends in two weeks. I expect to get the "she has reached a plateau" speech my aunt got in 2009 which led to a 2 1/2 year nursing home stay before death. I don't think 3 weeks in rehab is enough.

She cannot lift herself up. She has no control over her right hand or leg. She is large. I fear back issues if I lift her too much. I know when they go to the nursing home, any chance of rehab is over. Nursing homes do little therapy and the patient lies flat of their back most of the time while the muscles waste away.

I live near Lexington KY where rehab centers aren't into robotics. I have read of a cuff around the leg that has led to some people getting some leg movements but the process of doctor referrals makes it difficult.

Medicare will pay for 21 days in the nursing home and then 80% of the cost. Is home health expensive? I know she wants to be home. I am a single man and no relatives within 175 miles.Sorry for the rambling.
Hi, understand your stress. By the time she is moved from the rehab centre hopefully she recovers a lot more. By then if she has learnt physio exercises, she can continue practising, with your help. And also controlling high risk factors like diabetes and hypertension. Home health care will depend on the insurance agency, it may vary, you will need to check with them. You can get a referral from your treating doctor. Regards.