Stroke Community

Massive Stroke Causes Paralyses

I am in my late twenties and my mom had a stroke in January. She woke up from her coma after two months. They gave up on her in rehab. She had four brain surgeries. They had to remove a clot and took her scalp /bone from her head. They put both things back and she is in the hospital. She suffered paralyses on her left side and she can't transfer. Verbally she communicates how she wants to transfer and do things but her mind has kept her back. It has been 6 months since her stroke. We have to put her in a nursing home..Can she ever learn to transfer?We are doing the paperwork to see if she can be approved financially? What happens if you don't have the money to pay for the nursing home? She probably can't qualify under social security because she was in the teaching field and we don't pay into it...
Hello Dear,
Disability affects 75% of stroke survivors. Some of the physical disabilities that can result from stroke include paralysis, numbness,  inability to perform movements, difficulties carrying out daily activities, appetite loss, speech loss vision loss, and pain.With good rehabilitation  patients have been known to continue to improve for years, Successful rehabilitation depends on how early rehabilitation begins, the extent of the stroke, the survivor's attitude, the rehabilitation team's skill, the cooperation of family and friends.
For some stroke survivors, rehabilitation is an ongoing process to maintain and refine skills and could involve working with specialists for months or years after the stroke.As such  the time , to get back to normal activities cannot be predicted.
You should give her more attention and care as patients get depressed and psychologically disturbed after  a stroke attack.Wish her a speedy recovery. so be hopeful and all the best.
Best