Aa
A
A
A
Close
Stroke Community
3.21k Members

Mini Stroke

This is from BeeBopp.  Haven't had a response on my first question concerning symptoms of a possible mini stroke or withdrawal symptoms from precocet or elavil.  Should I take my husband to doctor - his office does not open until 9:00 am my time.
6 Responses
i would take him to doctor just to get it checked out ,we are not qualified to diagnose.

tracey
Thank you for your response.  My husband is at emergency room as I type - his father wanted to take him as his parents have been mostly uninvolved since his stroke 3 1/2 years ago.  Called his doctor and nurse said to do so.  Am not sure what is going on but I finally asked for help.   Thank you, BeeBopp
you did the right thing ,keep us posted.hope he gets well soon.

tracey
you did the right thing,hope he gets well soon and keep us posted.

tracey
Thank you for commenting back.  Just heard from my father in-law Dr. says no mini stroke.  All is associated with withdrawal to percocet.  Sure wish this drug was never created............I thought my husband's stroke took him away, but these drugs have been much more difficult to handle.  By my own choice I quit my job because I was always having to leave and I was stressing too......much.  Just had a call from my father in-law.  The ER doctor gave my husband zanax (?) don't have a clue.  Tough times ahead I think.  I need to not be so proper.  All caps and periods.....  Don't really understand all this comment stuff - should I go to a chat place (if I could even find it) for a totally stressed out person.  By the way BeeBopp is for my era (I think) but my Nickname is Charlie - so that is how I will end my message.  Thanks for reading (listening).
Charlie
BeeBop -

Sounds similar to my situation. Zanax (in part) is an anti-anxiety medication, which leads me to believe that they are suspecting that his TIA-like symptoms are being caused by anxiety-attacks (or panic attacks).  At least that is what my doctors told me when they prescribed Zanax to me following my TIA.  It seemed to have some success, but my symptoms did not go away completely.  I continue to have good days and bad days.  My doctor did however recently switch me to Zoloft which is a multi-functional drug for Anxiety, Depression, etc. as he said that long term use of Zanax is not good (habit forming & side effects).  Been on Zoloft a week or so, with the same success of Zanax.  

In summary, my doctor feels that my conscious or subconscious fear of having another TIA, is what is bringing on the Panic Attacks which produce TIA like symptoms.  I'm not convinced but like many others who have posted on this site, what are you gonna do other than follow their advice?

One thing I'm starting today though is a journal of exactly what is going on when I start to have problems and what those symptoms are at the time.  I'm hoping this may help to validate their thoughts or help them to narrow it to something else that might be more treatable.

Most importantly though, you've given some hints about the impact this is having on you.  You need to make sure you take care of yourself, even if it means being treated and receiving medication for yourself.  I often feel sorry for myself but quickly am brought back to reality when I see the impact it has on my wife as well.  

Hope all works out for the both of you....my thoughts and prayers
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease