Stroke Community

Mother had a stroke

Hi all. I'm just looking for a bit of clarification on what to expect.

My mother (70) had a stoke on the basal ganglia on the right side of her head. This caused her to fall down the stairs, breaking her wrist, 6 ribs, and her collarbone. Very luckily, there is no deficit in terms on movement on her left side (as much as she can move when in pain). Everything has sensation, no drooping or paralysis. She is on nectar-thick liquids and has been improving in terms of swallowing. My concern is cognitive function. There are times when she is almost stoned, zoning out, talking about sometimes random things. She's there, but tired and dazed almost. Has trouble getting the right words out. However, there are some times where she's completely alert, no issues with comprehension, etc. She's 3 weeks out, which from what I understand is still early.

I guess I'm just looking to see what the general prognosis is. I'm worried, but optimist in that she has those moments of clarity. Any feedback would be wonderful.
Hi, basal ganglia infarcts are referred to as lacunar stroke. Most patients with an acute stroke might also present with confusion or are sometimes perceived as being confused when there is an expressive or receptive aphasia or a visuospatial neglect phenomenon. Most functional recovery occurs within the first 3 months. After this, further recovery is possible, but it is generally limited. So, if her symptoms are improving you can be optimistic. Good Luck. Regards.