Stroke Community

Mr. Navin50

I am 58 years old at present. I suffered a massive stroke in 1988 at the age of 38. I was a perfectly normal person till then. My stroke was due to a clot that affected my brainstem. After the stroke, I am not able to balance, walk or write. Besides, my speech is slurred, I am afflicted by diplobia and inco-ordination. Through your forum, I am looking for a professional prognosis of what to expect down the years. Also I would like to offer myself or my services for related research in laboratories or institutions
A "Professional Prognosis". Hmmm. The though of a professional prognosis frightens me! I can give you an unprofessional prognosis, however. My significant other is punching me in the head (I often think of posting in the abusive relationships forum) and telling me to make sure I tell whoever you are posting to: "Don't listen to caregiver222!". All that being said, my opinion is, the prognosis depends upon one factor (1) Is the condition stabilized. Sometimes this is easy to do. Sometimes not that easy. The etiology of these kinds of problems is not always crystal clear. (2) If this is indeed the case there is redundancy in the brain and you will probably eventually recover significantly. The information "a clot that affected my brainstem" is not specific enough for further comment. The slurred speech will get bnetter over time. Tryt experimentally wearing a patch ovber one eye and see if your balance improves. Sometimes this works.