Stroke Community

PERIODS OF ALMOST DRUG LIKE SLEEP

I HAD A STROKE 3 YRS AGO IN THE RIGHT THALAMUS OF THE BRAIN. AFTER THE STROKE I SLEPT FOR ALMOST 2 MONTHS ON AND OFF IN A DRUG LIKE SLEEP. AND STILL TAKE SPURT OF THIS TYPE OF SLEEPING FOR 2 TO 3 DAYS AT A TIME. IS THIS COMMON TO THE STROKE I HAD OR WHAT CAUSES THIS TO HAPPEN. I DO NOT TAKE ANY DIFFERENT MEDICATIONS. ANY COMMENTS PLEASE.

THANKS
JOY
Sleep-disordered breathing (SDB) and sleep-wake disturbances (SWD) are frequent in stroke patients.

In at least 20% to 40% of stroke patients, SWD are present, mainly in form of increased sleep needs (hypersomnia), excessive daytime sleepiness, or insomnia. Depression, anxiety, SDB, stroke complications (eg, nocturia, dysphagia, and urinary or respiratory infections), and drugs may cause this and should be addressed first.

In patients with SWD of primary neurologic origin, treatment with stimulants or dopaminergic drugs and hypnotics or sedating antidepressants, respectively, can be attempted.
ref:http://www.springerlink.com/content/632466182538407r/