Stroke Community

Personality change after a TIA

My Father has had two TIAs in the last two years. After the first on there was no noteable lasting effect , however after the latest one (November 07) there seems to have been a real change in his personality.

He has become very self centred, not able to talk about anything not contected to him, very negative about people and only looks for the bad in them and isnt able to follow the logic through in converstaions about routes or descriptions etc. Although all these sound quite mild his personality has totally changed and it is now incredably hard to spend time with him.

I am not sure whether I should just accept the above or try to tackle and eductae him about his behaviuor? thoughts?
Hello dear,
I  understand your problem,but TIA often leads to personality changes such as
memory loss and confusion related to performing activities,problems with speech loss or slurred, language, and swallowing dysphagia. Asphasia - difficulty with speaking or understanding.,dysarthria - difficulty pronouncing words,
tendency to be impulsive and a poor judge of one's own abilities and safety.
poor social skills, frequent mood changes, depression or change in personality.Rehabilitation  is the process by which patients with disabling strokes undergo treatment to help them return to normal life as much as possible by regaining and relearning the skills of everyday living. You should spend as much time with your dad as whatever he is doing is not intentional,so he needs care and attention.Also consult an Occupational Therapist to help him to recover soon.
Best
I would like also share my dad's problem. My dad got TIA on February 2008. It's his first TIA and we all shocked by that. We put lots of special care for him during the first month after-shock, and convince him that he would be alright. Since then, his personality changed. Just like what you've said before. Looking people in negative sides, self orientated. I guess that it was one of the TIA after-shock effects. If anyone could help on how to bring him back to which states he should be act, please comment this. Thanks.. Best to you also Keb1000

I can really relate, my husband had a mild left side of brain stroke, a year ago, nine days after cranial stents were placed in basilar and vertibrial arteries...Angers easily, frustrated, memory loss, dwells on what happen to him daily,depessed, he realizes the changes, but can't seem to help it...I have to kinda be careful not to upset him, now..His Uncle had a stroke and actually became very mean and combative he ended up in a nursing home. I am a very positive, upbeat kinda person, so it is hard for me to handle the change, my sunny personality is not appreciated,  so I just try to watch myself and tone it down. We have been married 40 years and now both retired, he can not work due to stroke(also a blow to ego), together 24/7, not good. If he becomes really mean I don't know what we''ll do, so for now I guess we take it a day at a time. Definetly, stroke related and I miss the man I once knew..Take care and good luck..
My husband had a bleeding stroke, which resulted in severe depression for abou 3 months.  After a programmable shunt was put in, he felt much better, and was the same sweet guy he had always been.  Then, about 13 months after his first stroke, he had a TIA.  He started fooling around, lying, short-tempered, and just the opposite of the way he was before.  Still able to function at work, but it seems, I took the brunt of his frustration and personality change.  After 35 years, we are in the process of getting a divorce, and I am broken-hearted.  I have to keep telling myself that the man I loved is gone...as my daughter said, "it killed his soul"...I have prayed everyday for him to come back, but it's looking like it's a permanent thing.  I wish families could be made more aware of what might happen.  I knew these incidents would change him, just had no idea they would change him like this.
I first started reading this and thought did i write this and forget. The dates are different though. Same exact thing happening to me and my family. After 25 years of marriage and 5 children with 2nd grandchild on the way. Our only daughter has stated that she lost her Dad a long time ago. I hope your life is better now. No one or nothing prepared us for this devistation.
Sounds familiar..as I am going through the same thing. My husband used to treat me like a queen and after 30 years of marriage he "out of the blue" wanted a separation. We are now in the throes of divorce. His moral compass went from great to unacceptable in a matter of months.
I still love him but he is not the same man I knew.   Too bad cause he was a great husband and father.
A while back my mother suffered a TIA.  It wasn't noticeable at first but as the months passed I've noticed that she is the same - almost to the point of paranoyia as well.  She seems more dominearing and thinks that she hss a right to involve herself in my relationship with my children and my husband.  This past week over Christmas my 16 year old daughter asked if granny was trying to start a fight between her and me because of my mom making unwelcome comments to her and I about things in our house that didn't concern her.

I have tried to talk to my mom in the past about things that I've noticed in her personality since the TIA that are of concern and she became very angry with me.  I feel like she doesn't want to admit that there might be something different - it's like if she ignores it then it doesn't exist.

There have been days I wish I could divorce my mom - it's been very difficult.  I certainly have empathy for your situation and hope that you come through this expierience a stronger woman with a happy and balanced life.