Stroke Community

Post Watershed Stroke Recovery

Our father who is 92 recently suffered a Watershed Stroke two weeks ago.  Prior to this, he was living at home actively participating in his daily living skills and community life. My sisters and I immediately went to be with him, but have now left. None of us live in the same state as he does.  He is currently in a skilled rehabilitation facility which provides him with all the necessary rehab.  We have all gone back to our prospective states and are worried about not being there to assist in his recovery process.  Calling him on the phone at times is not an option as he goes in and out of  being very confused.  What can we do to keep him encouraged, motivated, active and an active participant in his own recovery?  Our reality is that we can't move down there.  It breaks our heart not being there to assist him.  Our mother is a senior herself, and is unable to visit him or participate as often as any of us would like.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can remain involved in his care and rehabilitation?  Do you have any suggestions as to how we can still be involved in our father's life?
We would greatly appreciate your advice.  Thank you.
Hi, & very sorry to hear about ur dad! I do not know if this will help ur dad, but i had a very bad stroke, & hospitals tried to cover it up. I noticed just recently, how it has effected my overall experience from the pain to my newly aquired dimentia. I decided to take responsibilty in my own curing, & went back to time of the panedemic of 1847(gold rush) .Back then 1/3 of population was dieing off. Ownly strong survived, with doing pain meds, & small doses of alcohol(i dont suggest the alcohol, but small amounts is known to help people. I use it to increase my thinking, & to help me forget how ill i am from my stroke, that they tried to hide from me.
OK, I do not know if ur dad is on oxygen therapy? If i didnt happen to stumble onto it, dont think i would be around(only because hosp. DNR me! I was so ill, could not get out of bed! I looked over at my oxygen, & something told me to give it a try. Well it worked! I did multible tests, trying to tell myself, that these tests were stupid!!, BUT, little did i know, that HBOT therapy, had been around the last few years! You might want to see if ur dad, is on oxygen? It might not be to late. (i have no family support) This might help ur dad, Alot of hospitals do not even know about it, or dont want people to know about it! It is an inexpensive therapy, & it would make a lot of drug companies, & hosp. lose a lot of business. It is worth a shot, & usually a 6-8 week period, but any help, might help ur dad, to help his dimentia(goin thru same thing, but caught on just in time) Between the oxygen therapy, & ur fone calling(support) who, knows , but , ur dad, might start to remember better! Also i suggest looking into the national stroke org. community, & checking it out. There r a ton of people, & i think u could ask anything, & it will also help educate all of you. Dont mind my spelling. BUT, please check out the national stroke society, & also think about oxygen therapy, if ur dad is not on it yet. Sooner the better! That is what strokes r about, lack of oxyginated blood to the brain. Hope this helps somewhat, esp. the stroke foundation, can help u all. I am no doctor, just a stroke sufferer. With all do respect! Steven