Stroke Community

Pregnancy after Stroke

I am 21yrs old and recently suffered a (clot) stroke (3 months ago). I went in to see my Dr today and he said I can try for a baby in the new year.

Please, I would really like to hear from everyone who had a baby post stroke, good or bad.
Hi, I too would like to know about this.  I am 32 and suffered a stroke at 30.  My husband and I would like to have a child, but are unsure about my health issues and pregnancy.  My stroke was due to a dissection in my left vertebral artery and I have been told that it has healed completely.  However, I experience dizziness and unwell feelings around menstruation, which I'm sure is due to hormones, which makes me nervous about pregnancy.  Any information would be helpful.  I have looked on the internet and have not really found anything.  If you find out anything, let me know and I will do the same for you.  Take care.
I too had a stroke when I was 29...2 weeks after I gave birth to my son...That was 4 1/2 years ago.  I have been fine ever since,even though my corotid arteries are still occluded.  I had a bilateral corotid dissection.  I would also like to have more kids and my doctors THINK it should be ok, but there are no guarantees!!
Hi C.F.

Did they say what caused your dissection?  Was it the strain of giving birth?  May I ask if you delivered naturally or had a C-Section?  Did they say if you had another one that you would have to have a C-section because of all of the strain of giving birth?  That is what I am scared of.  That I will strain so hard that it may tear the artery again.  I would appreciate any info you can give.  Thank you wer4herd
They aren't sure what the dissection is from....pushing could have contributed to something breaking off and causing a clot.  I actually had a natural birth with a 6lb. 3oz baby...very normal pregnancy no known risks.  I was told if I had another baby that they would give me a heavy epidural and use forceps...c-sections are too risky for bleeding.  I would probably have to take some kind of blood thinner for preventive measures.  where are you located?  what do your doctors think?
Can I ask what a "dissection" is?

All I know about my stroke is it was caused by my pill and it was the clot.
bilateral carotid artery dissection:
A stroke secondary to carotid dissection is a loss of brain function due to a stroke caused by a tear in the lining of the carotid artery (a major artery in the neck which supplies blood to the front of the brain).

I basically have no blood flow to my brain except through my vertebral arteries.  My carotid arteries are almost completely closed.
OK, so I can rest assured that I didn't have that if they said it was a clot from my leg that travelled to my brain and caused by the pill?

I am recovering really well now, I think that has something do with my age, but I dont have any symptoms now at all. The Drs have said I can start trying for a baby on my honeymoon which will be exactly 6 months after my stroke. Is that to early? I really want a baby but I dont want to put myself at risk? I will be on the blood thinning meds throuout the pregnancy so I suppose that will minimise the risk?
My doctors think I should be fine also, but since I already have a child...I'm not sure I want to put myself at risk.
Thank you for the personal info.  I am in WV.  I actually just went to my neuro to ask about babies and he said that having a child is the most dangerous thing a woman can do.  But, driving a car is dangerous and people still do it.  He doesn't seem to think that I am at a higher risk than anyone else for problems, even with prior history of stroke.  I am still leary about it though.  Did you talk to your gynecologist about blood thinners etc... if you were to get pregnant again?  I just wondered who told you your information because my neuro did not really give me any details of that nature.
Hi, it sounds like your doctors know what they are talking about, and it sounds like you are doing really well to even be thinking about pregnancy six months after a stroke.  I was no where near being fully recuperated that soon, so I am very happy to hear you are doing so well.  It sounds like your doctors think its ok to start trying and they would know.  If you still feel uneasy, don't worry.  You still have time to decide what you want to do.  You are still really young, plenty of fertile years left.  :-)  Just voice your concerns to your doctor.  If they have you on blood thinners, I would think you would be ok.  Blood thinners and anti-coagulants (plavix, cumadin, etc...)  should keep you from having a clot.  Did they find out what caused your clot to begin with?
JQ,

getting pregnant after a stroke can be a little dangerous.  if you are on blood thinning medicine right now such like coumadin or aspirin, you have to be sure that you know exactly when you are pregnant, because blood thinners can be very bad for a developing fetus.  another thing is your blood pressure when in labor, you have to make sure to keep it normal, that is very important.  right now, you should monitor your blood pressure frequently, this is a major key in keeping healthy and stroke free.  
its probably not what you wanna hear but maybe you should wait a while longer to try and conceive, you need time for yourself right now.  your body might need a little time to heal.  in whatever your desicion, good luck!
FYI:  The blood thinner that you would probably be on is safe and is given in the stomach on a daily basis.