Aa
A
A
A
Close
Stroke Community
3.21k Members

Progression rate post stroke

Hello. I suffered a stroke last june27,2009.The MRI idindicated a right basal ganglia infarct which resulted in me having a major case of spastic Left hemiparesis.Since it has been a little over a year, I was wondering about my progress. I never lost sensation on my left side.I was/am able to ambulate with assistance upon release from ICU. I had inpatient therapy and outpatient PT/OT.I am on a laundry list of meds. Everytime I go to see my neurologist, she never excites over my progress but  is incessantly concerned about how spastic my left arm is.Keep in mind that I could not raise my arm in the hospital. It felt like I was trying to lift a 100 lb weight.My muscles were just that weak.Slowly, I begain to be able to lift it.After lifting it. I would feel as if I had run a marathon.It would take every ounce of energy within me to try to move the arm.And I would only be able to move it from my side( laying down) to slightly above the bedrail. I would start to tremble because I was exerting so much energy.I was straining.Now I lift my arm to where my hand is above my head. I still have no functional hand recovery.I can't give a "hi 5".clap,grasp, or point. I am able to make a closed fist after concentrating on the task and using a lot of energy. I have a severe case of "foot drop". Although I ambulate very well and use a cane at the insistence of my neurologist because I tire easily and it keeps me from tripping.
     On my Dr's visit yesterday,I informed my neurologist of some hand twitching and she told me that she was concerned about seizures. I thought ,like maybe my hand was trying to start to wake up.She thought seizures.
     So I feel as though I am behind the curve.I know that not all stroke cases are the same and recovery times will vary. But it has been a year now.I am so depressed.Yes I have depression meds. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Hoonoo
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease