A
A
A
Close
Stroke Community
3.22k Members
877060 tn?1240204020

RECOVERY AFTER A STROKE

I'M A RECENT STROKE SURVIVOR (01/09) AND AM NOW IN THE REHAB AND RECOVERY PROCESS.  I SUFFERED AN ACUTE STROKE OF THE CEREBELLUM THAT ALSO AFFECTED MY BRAIN STEM AND RIGHT HEMISPHERE.  I'M 42 YEARS OLD AND DID NOT HAVE ANY OF THE COMMON HEALTH ISSUES ASSOCIATED WITH A STROKE (MY WEIGHT, BLOOD SUGAR, NEVER TOOK BIRTH CONTROL, BP WAS NORMAL, ETC). I WAS DIAGNOSED AS HAVING Antiphospholipid syndrome.  I DEVELOPED A BLOOD CLOT IN MY RIGHT LEG ON 07/08 (DR'S COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHY) AND WAS ON BLOOD THINNERS WHEN I SUFFERED MY STROKE,  I HAD ALSO BEEN EXPIERENCING HEADACHES (NOT COMMON FOR ME) PRIOR TO MY STROKE  IN WHICH I WOULD LOSE MY BALANCE ON MY RIGHT SIDE AND ON ONE OCCASION,  I LOST VISION IN BOTH EYES FOR A FEW MINUTES . I NOW KNOW THAT I  WAS EXPIERENCING "MINI STROKES" OR TIA'S.  2 WEEKS PRIOR TO MY STROKE, I WAS GIVEN A CT SCAN AND ALL WAS CLEAR.  I WAS SENT HOME WITH A DIAGNOSIS OF "MIGRAINS WITH NEURO SIDE EFFECTS".  I'M ABLE TO WALK SHORT DISTANCES WITH THE AID OF A WALKER BUT DO REQUIRE SOMENE TO WALK WITH ME AS I STILL (AND MAY ALWAYS HAVE) THE PROLEM OF LOSING MY BALANCE.  I'M PRIMARILY LIMTED TO USE OF A WHEELCHAIR.  I HAVE REGAINED STRENGTH AND USE OF MY LEFT SIDE BUT MY HAND IS STILL WEAK.  I STILL SUFFER FROM ATAXIA ON THE LEFT SIDE.  I HAVE FULL USE OF MY RIGHT SIDE BUT I'M  DEALING WITH THE FEELING OF BEING HOT AND FLUSHED ON THAT SIDE. I RECEIVE FEELINGS OF ELECTRICITY RUNNING THRIOUGH MY RIGHT SIDE WHICH SEEMS TO BE MUCH MORE CONSTANT AND UNCOMFORTABLE THEN PREVIOUSLY.  I AM ALSO UNABLE TO SENSE TEMPERATURE (HOT OR COLD) ON THIS SIDE.  THIS WAS REALIZED WHEN I REACHED FOR AN ITEM OUT OF THE FREEZER AND IT DID NOT FEEL COLD.  I ALSO REALIZED I HAD BURNT MY FOREARM ON THE OVEN DOOR AND DID NOT FEEL THE BURN BUT DID RECEIVE A BURN SCAR. THE DOUBLE VISION, NAUSEA AND VIRTIGO SYMPTOMS HAVE SUBSIDED BUT I STILL DEAL WITH PAIN IN MY LEFT EYE AND "DANCING EYES" OR NYSTAGMUS WHICH MAKES MY WORLD VERY UNSTEADY.  I'M BEING TOLD THE DAMAGE TO MY EYES WILL BE PERMANENT.  I'VE NOTICED MY VISION HAS WORSENED SINCE.  MY TASTE BUDA AREN'T WHAT THE USED TO BE EITHER.  FOODS I ONCE LOVED NOW TASTE TERRIBLE....I THE STROKE.  I HAVEN'T MET OR SPOKEN WITH ANYONE WHO HAS OR IS EXPERIENCING THE SAME SYMPTOMS NOR HAVE I'VE COME ACROSS ANYONE WHO SUFFERED A STROKE IN THE SAME LOCATION.  ANYONE OUT THERE WHO SHARES OR KNOWS OF ANYONE WITH SIMILAR SYMPTOMS??   SORRY BOUT THE LARGE FONT, IT'S MUCH EASIER FOR ME WHEN MANEUVERING AROUND THE KEY BOARD. I ONLYTH ONLY HAVE THE ABILITY TO TYPE WITH ONE HAND AND MY EYES DON'T WANT TO COOPERATE RIGHT NOW.  
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease