Stroke Community

Recent stroke

I suffered a brain stem stroke the day after Mother's Day and went from the hospital directly to a rehab hospital.  Against my therapists wishes, I came home.  I felt my progress had slowed to a minimum and it no longer made sense to be away any longer.  I am not able to take care of all my own needs but most daily things I can manage.  I'm only 46 years old and had no risk factors.  My biggest problem right now is the dizziness that they tell me will eventually go away.  Every time I move my head side to side or sitting up or lying down.  Unless I move very slowly the room spins.  Has  anyone else here suffered this effect and if so, how did you deal with it?  Right now I am considering canceling all out-patient therapy because the car ride makes me so dizzy that I heave.  This may sound ignorant because simply put, I am ignorant as far as post-care goes.  Is outside therapy absolutely necessary for recovery?  I am a very determined personality type and was highly physically active before this.  I have 'some' movement of shoulder, elbow, and wrist.  My right foot is stuck in an odd position that makes walking difficult but not impossible.  I use a waker with my left hand.  Numbness is still prevalent but not nearly so much as when it first happened.  I've read a lot about strokes but haven't seen much on recovery....didn't have internet access in the hospital which didn't help matters.  I appreciate hearing any points of view and advice.  Thank-you.
Stroke rehabilitation, or, in more optimistic terms, stroke recovery, is the process by which patients with disabling strokes undergo treatment to help them return to normal life as much as possible by regaining and relearning the skills of everyday living. It is multidisciplinary in that it involves a team with different skills working together to help the patient. These include nursing staff, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy and usually a physician trained in rehabilitation medicine. Some teams may also include psychologists and social workers and pharmacists. Patients may demand access to state of the art treatment with the help of their own doctor.
For most stroke patients, the rehabilitation process includes nursing, occupational therapy (OT), physical therapy (PT), therapeutic recreation (TR) and speech therapy (or speech language therapy, SLP). OT involves exercise and training to help the stroke patient relearn everyday activities, sometimes called the Activities of daily living (ADLs), such as eating and drinking, dressing, bathing, cooking, reading and writing, and toileting. Therapeutic recreation works on several areas including problem solving, improving movement and re-entry into the community through familiar, new, and adaptive leisure skills.
Stroke rehabilitation can last from a few days up to several months.
After a stroke, control signals from the brain often cannot reach some muscles, typically in the hand or foot. Without these signals, the level of electrical activity in these muscles is too low for them to contract adequately on their own. This causes them to become increasingly weaker.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_recovery
You do need to continue working with a therapist to assisst in your recovery.