Stroke Community

Rehab Question

My dad had a large stroke 2 weeks ago, and he has been in rehab for 1 week.  The stroke is terrible enough to endure, he had the stroke 1 hour after his 2nd dialysis treatment.  My mother is getting sick worrying about his progress, because the case worker told her if he does not make progress they will not keep him in rehab.  My dad has medicare and supplemental insurance, is there a minimum or maximum time they will allow him to get rehab?   The case worker said this is Obama's new health plan, if the person is not worth the time, they let them go.  It seems to me that everyone should get a chance to get better, does anyone know anything about this situation? Thank you, deb
talk to the social worker at the hospital, they could tell you the regulations.   I would suggest getting a new case worker that knows more.  Insurance/HMOs will stop paying for rehab when they think the patient has plateaued, this has nothing to do with new regulations. Plateau is not a medical term is is just used by your payor to deny coverage and save money. stroke patients recover very slowly, years, while your payor expects improvements in 6 weeks or less. So figure out a way to continually show progress. I did it by suggesting goals that I already knew I could do.