Stroke Community

Residual stroke effects

I had a hemorraghic stroke in the cerebellum region 8 months ago. Thankfully it was mild in that I wasn't left with paralysis. The bleed was small (about the size of a quarter) and the vessel closed back on its own. The doctors were unable to determine the cause. I didn't have any of the risk factors. I was told I should be able to return to work in 6 weeks. The blood didn't absorb as was expected and ended up irritating the lining of my brain therfore causing months of daily bad headaches with any sort of moving around. With months of medication, that was resovled.  However, I have still been unable to return to my normal pre-stroke activity level or work full-time (fast-paced retail sales). I have very little energy, get short of breath when I try to exercise or normal everyday activities. I did attempt 1 month of full time work and ended up barely able to finish a shift and barely able to make back the next day. I started occaisionaly slurring my speech and had balance issues from time to time. I have a hard time not getting depressed due to my condition.  I am still under a doctors care. I understand very few people survive this type of stroke. I feel very fortunate.  Is it possible to have risidual side effects from this type of stroke?  I don't understand why it is taking so long for me to regain my strength. Are there others out there with anything similar?
Yes, I am very fatigued too.  I have a hard time standing for 5 minutees in the supermarket.  I also have some swallowing issuess but other than that I look normal, can talk normal, can walk normal.  People tell me it takes a year to get energy back.