Stroke Community

STROKE AND MIGRAINE

I had an ischematic stroke in August 2006, when aged 51, and since then have suffered numerous neurological 'episodes' which were initially diagnosed by the local hospital as TIA's (mini-strokes) but which I'm now informed are a rare kind of migraine. I don't get the blinding headaches that I'd normally expect with a migraine, but I do get the same sorts of symptoms you'd expect with a stroke - head floppiness, slurred speech, inability to flex the fingers of my left hand etc.

I've been told by a neurology consultant that I should make an effort to use my left hand more in everyday tasks around the home - which is all fine and dandy for some things, but as I'm right-handed it isn't always going to be possible to use my left hand as much as the neurologist would like.

Medical retirement from my civil service post is a distinct possibility because of this. Has anyone else had this kind of problem, and if so how did you get over it?
Hello Dear,
Migraine attacks may be triggered by:
• Allergic reactions
• Bright lights
• Loud noises
• Physical or mental stress
• Changes in sleep patterns
• Smoking or exposure to tobacco smoke
• Missed meals
• Alcohol
Foods associated with migraine include:
• Foods containing the amino acid tyramine (red wine, aged cheese, smoked fish, chicken livers, figs, some beans)
• Chocolates
• Nuts and peanut butter
• Fruits (avocado, banana, citrus fruit)
• Onions
• Dairy products
• Baked goods
• Meats containing nitrates (bacon, hot dogs, salami, cured meats)
• Foods containing monosodium glutamate (MSG)
• Any processed, fermented, pickled, or marinated fo
When a migraine begins with visual disturbances (aura), these warning symptoms may occur anywhere from a few minutes to 24 hours before the headache. The visual changes are common in one or both eyes. They may occur in any combination:
• Seeing zigzag lines
• Seeing flashing lights
• Other visual hallucinations
• Temporary blind spots
• Sensitivity to bright light
• Blurred vision
• Eye pain
Your retirement could be a triggering factor in  causing the stroke like symptoms.You have to overcome it and increase your will power and self confidence .You should not take any kind of stress and keep your blood pressure levels monitored.  
Refer http://www.medhelp.org/Medical-Dictionary/Terms/1/000721.htm
Best