Stroke Community

STROKE RELATED?

MY NAME IS CYNDI. I AM 35 AND A MOTHER OF 3. MY YOUNGEST IS 10 MONTHS OLD. SHORTLY AFTER GIVING BIRTH TO MY YOUNGEST CHILD, I HAD 2 EPISODES OF "VERTIGO". THE ENTIRE ROOM TURNED OVER SIDEWAYS AND THEN BACK AGAIN WITHIN A COUPLE OF SECONDS.  AFTER THE SECOND TIME, I WENT TO MY DOCTOR'S OFFICE AND WAS SEEN BY ONE OF THE PHYSICIAN'S ASSISTANTS. SHE CHECKED MY BLOOD PRESSURE AND BLOOD SUGAR. SHE CHECKED MY EYES AND EARS AND MADE ME PERFORM "DUI" TYPES OF TESTS. I GUESS I PASSED AND SHE SENT ME HOME SAYING IT WAS MORE THAN LIKELY AN INNER EAR PROBLEM AND IT SHOULD GO AWAY. A COUPLE MONTHS PASSED AND I BEGAN HAVING HEART PALPITATIONS, PAIN IN BOTH ARMS AND CHEST AND WAS HAVING DIFFICULTY BREATHING. I WAS REFERRED TO A CARDIOLOGIST ONLY AFTER BEGGING. A FEW TESTS WERE RUN AND EVERYTHING SEEMED TO BE OK. I AM STILL HAVING THE SYMPTOMS AND NOW HAVE A CONTINUOUS HEADACHE. MY ARMS ARE STILL HURTING AND I HAVE NUMBNESS AND "TINGLING" IN MY ARM AND LEG.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?!! I'M DESPERATE FOR HELP.
First of all, calm down. Probably this isn't all that serious. Vertigo is commonlu caused by a disturbance of the vestibular organs. Basically these are circular channels in which there are tiny protrusions that are actrivated by sloshing fluid. Often an infection will cause loss of balance. Usually these are self-limiting, but you need to see an ENT specialist if the situation persists There are dozens of possible causes for your other symptoms, and most of them are not life threatening. Yes, you may have a life-threatening problem, but the probability is that you do not. You are under tremendous stress raising three children and you have my admiration. The chances are you are not having a "stroke", but you have enough flags for a neurological evaluation.  Sometimes these problems are caused by nutritional or diet supplements. You need an M.D. to pay attention to your symptoms. I can't help you in that department, unfortunately. There are many good clinics that accept patients on an ability-to-pay basis.
THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING. I AM TRYING MY BEST NOT TO THINK THE WORST. I HAD FORGOTTEN TO MENTION THE TESTS I HAD. I FIRST HAD AN EKG WHICH WAS ABNORMAL. I LATER HAD AN ECHO, A STRESS TEST AND CT SCAN TO CHECK FOR BLOOD CLOTTING AND ALL OF THOSE WERE OK. DO YOU KNOW OF ANY OTHER TESTS THAT COULD OR SHOULD BE PERFORMED? I SEE MY CARDIOLOGIST FRIDAY.
I am not trying to alarm you in any way but my advice to you is to request an MRI when you see your doctor Friday.  I was 29yrs old when I had my stroke.  I too was diagnosed with an inner ear problem and had severe vertigo when I went to the emergency room.  They did a CT Scan and it came back normal.  Stroke does not always show up on a CT Scan.  My vertebral arteries were both dissected and after FINALLY having an MRI two days later it showed I had a massive stroke.  I am not trying to scare you in any way; more than likely it is just an inner ear disturbance however it is better to be thorough for peace of mind.  I wish I had known sooner.  Good luck to you.