Stroke Community

Stepdad had stroke, question about other family members

Hi Everyone,
First off, thank you all for posting on this site.  It is great that you all take time out of your day to help others dealing with many of the problems that you dealt with, yourselves.

My stepdad had a stroke today.  My mom, little sister, and stepdad live on the other side of the country, and so I don't know much of the details, and am trying not to pry at my Mom, as it seems she is (obviously) taking this the worst.

What I do know:
He came into the hospital with one hand clinched, and was able to release it (which I'm guessing the Dr's mentioned because it is good)

He does not have bleeding in his brain (again, good)

Met with a speech therapist, who was able to coax a sound out of him (not sure about the details here).

Just had MRI, they are going to get the results tomorrow.

I've been gathering information since.

One of the things I haven't really found out how to deal with is this kind of guilt my Mom is having.  She was in the process of studying for the BAR exam to be a lawyer, and from what I gathered from my sister, is starting to feel that she put too much on my stepdad while she devoted most of her recent time to studying.

She of course doesn't want people worried about her, but from what I've read here and elsewhere about recovery and rehabilitation, it can be a long road.  I would like to be able to talk to my mom more about the causes of stroke, and how she doesn't fit into that causation equation.  Can anyone give me any information on helping my Mom and my stepdad from halfway across the country? Any ideas of how to talk to my mom about this? Please, feel free to share personal experiences of coping with helping others help stroke victims, or if any of you had similar feelings as my mom and had some message help you shed the guilt.  I would really appreciate it.  I obviously intend to get out to see them soon, but in law school myself the timing is tough.  Until I can make it out there, I'd like to be the best help I can, whatever form that takes.

Thank you all again,
Andrew