Stroke Community

Stroke Question

People I love have had major strokes that  rendered them unable to move or speak and left them hospitalized for months while they regained use of the side of their bodies effected.
An acquaintance of mine is always looking for attention because of his lonely life. He was posting one night, two weeks ago, and the next morning posted that he was in the middle of a massive stroke". He said he was dizzy and it was difficult to swallow. After doing his chores he called an ambulance to take him to the hospital. He was admitted for two nights and kept us updated. He said he was better, but that they were running tests on his leg. After a two night stay he was released and got on fb to tell us about his experience. Then he got in his car and ran errands.
When I didn't react to his news, he messaged me to tell me about it. I told him how those I love were effected so much worse than he and I questioned if it may have been a mild stroke.  He became defensive. He repeated what he had been saying about how his "left lower lobe was now 1/2 dead - like a gun shot". How his "upper lobe and lemming over the spinal tract was also effected".  He then told me that the symptoms of my loved  applied to him and that he was completely paralyzed one the left side and that he was still unable to swallow or . He said he refuses to take the prescriptions because he doesn't want man made drugs in his system, although he brags  using pot and cocaine. He also said he doesn't have time for therapy because he has "things to do".  I want to believe he wouldn't make this up, but I am having a difficult time. Should I be supporting him our should I ignore this?
First I am sorry to hear about your loved ones, I hope they are getting better. Now as for your acquaintance, It sounds like he is full of sh*t. If he suffered that much damage to his brain from a stroke he would be in the hospital a lot longer than 2 days. He would not be able to go driving around to run errands. His motor skills would of really been effected. I would just ignore him, he is just looking for attention.
Hi Ingridob,

I'm also sorry for what your friends have obviously gone through. It isn't easy by a long shot. Next month I will be three years post subarachnoid hemorrhage and stroke. My entire left side was affected and I spent my first two months in ICU and inpatient rehab relearning how to walk, talk, write and everything else related to everyday living, like getting dressed. Although I am far better than I was three years ago, I'm still recovering; I want to be as close to my pre-stroke self as I can be, if not better.

As for your 'friend', I have to agree with flipper336, it sounds like he's full of it. Prior to my bleed, I was an EMT for over a decade, and I've never had a patient have a full blown CVA, suffer as much damage to his brain as he claims to have, and blow it off as if it's nothing. As flipper336 said, he certainly wouldn't be driving around to run errands. He'd be lucky to be able to coordinate his hand enough to put it on the wheel.

That is definitely NOT the kind of attention he wants to seek. If you're close to him, perhaps you should talk to him and see what else has been going on with him. Maybe he's reaching out in the only way he knows how.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. Take care. Eva
Thank you both.  I really didn't want to brush him off if he was serious, but I didn't know how to be supportive either. You are offering very good advice, Eva. I'll try to find out why he is saying these things. He is a very lonely man and I'm afraid he'll be even lonelier if something bad really does happen to him. Thank you both again.
And Eva, you will be in my prayers for a full recovery.