Stroke Community

Stroke/TIA/Migrains

I had a stroke on 7/2/05 later was changed to TIA but I have had symptoms like a stroke.  Weakness on the right side, kept falling had 2 mo outpatient rehab. All my tests are clear and my neurologist basically told me it is in my head.  We believe it was brought on my A-Typical Migrains.  I continue to have these head aches at least twice a week.  Have been to Er 3 times in the last 6 weeks with some that have lasted over 2 days.  Should we be looking for a different cause? I am afraid to drive because the migrains usually start with dizziness and the medication (i have had 3) to treat them does not doit. I fell good in the morning if I do not have a headache but after a few hours I have to rest.  I do this usually twice a day.  Dr's want me to take a neuropshyc test what will this show?
I AM A TWENTY-NINE YEAR OLD STROKE SURVIOR I HAD A STROKE 11/16/2004. I FELT THE SAME WAY U FEEL FOR A LONG WHILE BUT AS I STARTED TO HEAL I STARTED TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE MORE ON MY OWN I FELT BETTER JUST TO BE ABLE TO WALK AROUND MY CUL-DE-SAC. NOW I WALK OUT SIDE FOR AN HOUR A DAY
A neuropsych evaluation is a complex series of tests that determine possible neurological involvement of the motor, psychological and cognitive functions of the brain.  I know, clear as mud, but blame it on my background and education, thank God!  

Hi, I'm a stroke survivor myself, and a former medical student, that has undergone 3 separate neuropsych evaluations in the last 10 years to chart my progress.  Not only does it determine any psychological involvement (depression, anxiety, and so on), it also measures memory (short-term, long-term, and so on), the ability to reason, logic, math skills, motor (hand-eye coordination and so forth) skills, and the list goes on.  It can be very exhausting both physically and emotionally depending on your level of involvement/disability.

Hope this helps.  In the end, the testing is to your benefit, so don't sweat it.

Sincerely,
Marie