Aa
A
A
A
Close
Stroke Community
3.21k Members

Stroke/TIA/Migrains

I had a stroke on 7/2/05 later was changed to TIA but I have had symptoms like a stroke.  Weakness on the right side, kept falling had 2 mo outpatient rehab. All my tests are clear and my neurologist basically told me it is in my head.  We believe it was brought on my A-Typical Migrains.  I continue to have these head aches at least twice a week.  Have been to Er 3 times in the last 6 weeks with some that have lasted over 2 days.  Should we be looking for a different cause? I am afraid to drive because the migrains usually start with dizziness and the medication (i have had 3) to treat them does not doit. I fell good in the morning if I do not have a headache but after a few hours I have to rest.  I do this usually twice a day.  Dr's want me to take a neuropshyc test what will this show?
2 Responses
I AM A TWENTY-NINE YEAR OLD STROKE SURVIOR I HAD A STROKE 11/16/2004. I FELT THE SAME WAY U FEEL FOR A LONG WHILE BUT AS I STARTED TO HEAL I STARTED TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE MORE ON MY OWN I FELT BETTER JUST TO BE ABLE TO WALK AROUND MY CUL-DE-SAC. NOW I WALK OUT SIDE FOR AN HOUR A DAY
A neuropsych evaluation is a complex series of tests that determine possible neurological involvement of the motor, psychological and cognitive functions of the brain.  I know, clear as mud, but blame it on my background and education, thank God!  

Hi, I'm a stroke survivor myself, and a former medical student, that has undergone 3 separate neuropsych evaluations in the last 10 years to chart my progress.  Not only does it determine any psychological involvement (depression, anxiety, and so on), it also measures memory (short-term, long-term, and so on), the ability to reason, logic, math skills, motor (hand-eye coordination and so forth) skills, and the list goes on.  It can be very exhausting both physically and emotionally depending on your level of involvement/disability.

Hope this helps.  In the end, the testing is to your benefit, so don't sweat it.

Sincerely,
Marie
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease