Stroke Community

Stroke and depression

I am 66 yr old male, I retired on July 1 07    on July 7, 07 I had a stroke. It  left me with some loss of memory and speech problems. Now it is also causing a lot of depression    problems, To make things more problems I also have a mitro valve replaced back in 1972 and arotia valve replaced in 2005. Jan of 07 I had a seiurer  and  also the stroke
in July. I cannot take certain meds because of the blood thinners and other medicans
My big proble is the depressopn . I NEED HELP.    Open for suggestions
You've taken the first step and that is recognizing that you have depression.  It is a BIGGIE.   It sounds like your stroke happenned relatively recently and you're still going through adjustments - both physical and emotional.   I hope your doctors are helping you through that -- you should not feel overwhelmed with all of these medical decisions (looking for the right meds combination, etc.) - let your doctor guide you.   They should have you on a good stroke prevention regimen (something for blood pressure, something for cholesterol, diabetes, if you have it, and a blood thinner or something like aspirin / plavix / aggrenox).   You should also be on an antiepileptic  medication -- many patients have occasional seizures after they've had a stroke but it is easy to control and should not ruin your life.  

The best advice is:   talk to your doctor about your depression.    Depending on the severity, you may be helped by talking to other stroke survivors, getting yourself involved in some community work or becoming closer to your family.   If your depression is severe, you may need a short course of antidepressant treatments -- it is VERY common for stroke survivors to require treatment to help them "take the edge off."    You should definitely ask your doctor about it and if he/ she doesn't feel comfortable prescribing it, please, ask to see a psychiatrist or a geriatrician.   That would be the right thing to do to get your life back.

You could also benefit from seeing a neuropsychologist who could administer a full battery of tests to see exactly where your memory troubles lie and, maybe, suggest therapy.  

One thing is clear:  you will continue to get better -- seek help anytime you think otherwise!