Stroke Community

Stroke for 89-year old female

My 89-year elderly mother has lymphoma (currently in remission), atrial fibrulation, and high blood pressure. She had a stroke a week ago, and is still relatively unresponsive.  She cannot speak or make any voluntary movement except to occasionally squeeze my hand in response to a question.  She is on a feeding tube (core pack?) since she has no swallow reflex.  After a week of no change, can we hope for any recovery or progress?  The neurologist seems to be taking a wait and see attitude.  She is hospitalized, but we wonder if she would be better off in a rehab facility or some other skilled care.  What should we ask and what should we expect?
You can page the neurologist through their office anytime to ask your very valid questions. The docs are there for you as well as your mom.

M