Stroke Community

Stroke recovery regression

My father recently suffered a stroke about a month ago.  One week after the stroke, he started gaining movement, speech and swallowing back.  He was doing so well that he was placed into rehab, and was able to walk a bit with a walker, shower, eat and talk.  Then a few days after, he started regressing, and is now bed ridden.  He lost his ability to swallow, can't speak, or walk.  The feeding tube was not working, so he has been put back on IV fluids....the doctors do not have an answer as to why this is happening, and can't give us any type of answer.  Everything in his system is working fine...no signs of another stroke on the MRI, and CT scans show nothing wrong.  My question is, is this common for stroke victims to regress?  My mother is considering putting him into hospice if the doctors can't find the problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, we just feel we are not getting the help needed for him, and none of the doctors are communicating with each other or updating his charts properly.  Please help!!!!
Y ou will just have to keep after your doctors, make yourself a nuisance, go to the dept. head. Ask if he has a PFO that continually lets small clots thru to the brain.