Stroke Community

Stroke rehab: memory loss and incontinence query

My mother is 60 years old, and suffered a left hemisphere bleed about 4 months back. It was a small vessel burst so she skirted getting an aneurysm. After 3 weeks of unconsciousness and 2 months' hospitalization, we got her back home. She's thankfully improving, with right side weakness and spasticity gradually improving. However, her cognitive awareness is minimal and so is her short-term memory: she can understand the present, but loses it all in half an hours' time. Long term memories are better though. She is also not able to realize that she needs to perform basic daily activities like gooing to the loo, eating, etc by herself which (perhaps) is leading to bowel control problems.

While I appreciate each case is vastly different, anyone knows of treatments to improve memory and cognitive awareness? She's currently getting treated in Mumbai, and would be moving to Hong Kong soon.

Any and all help much appreciated!
Thanks, Ani
Hi, I can understand your worrying concerns about post-stroke recovery. Unfortunately, rehabilitation is the only effective way to help the patient regain function to the possible extent and prevent from permanent losses. If rehabilitation program is appropriately instituted, most of the stroke patients can regain maximum functions with appropriate therapy, training and support services. For coordinated rehabilitation program a team of a neurologist, a physiotherapist, an occupational therapist and a speech-language pathologist, a nutritionist work together to help you in your recovery. Therefore, I would suggest following the suggestion made by them and recovery will be although slow but most of the functions may be restored. In addition, it is essential to know that risk of stroke recurrence may be reduced such as by quitting smoking and controlling blood pressure. Hope this helps.