Stroke Community

Suffered a TIA

I am a pretty healthy and active 70 year old, and have never suffered from headaches then about 12 weeks ago I caught a winter virus and  that left me with a headache that I experience only at night when I lie on my pillow every night without fail no medication could shift it, then I suffered 2 bad migraine headaches in one day later on the same day I had jumbled speech and I couldn't understand something I had written down I couldn't even read it and my husband could not understand what I was saying and neither did I although I knew something was going on and nodded when he suggested we go to hospital I was diagnosed with having a TIA the effect lasted about 30 minutes before it wore off, I was sent for MRI scans and blood tests and all came back normal my carotid ultrasound came back totally clear of any blockages and the nurse said it was the cleanest artery she had seen for a long time so why on earth did I have a TIA! and is it likely to repeat. I cant find anyone else who had the migraine attacks before the TIA so any help would be really appreciated as I just want to get to the bottom of it.
hello there, sorry for your experience. My husband was diagnosed with migraines 6 weeks before having a major stroke. They were in fact TIAs. If you haven't already..insist on seeing a neurologist and ensuring you are getting all the best stroke prevention treatments. Best wishes. mary