Stroke Community

TIA and Residual Symptoms/Affects Afterwards

My question is, is it normal to experience continual affects of a TIA?   Some of what I have read here leads me to believe that a TIA is a stroke that totally reverses itself and all symptoms go away within 24 hrs.  Other postings indicate that if symptoms continue or periodically return, then that is an indication that it was more than just a TIA or that there are continuing problems.

The problems I continue to experience are occasional light numbness in the left side of my face, (nothing like the initial numbness on the day of the TIA which was on the Right side of my face), weakness and fatigue in my neck, right arm and right leg.   Sensitivity to foods and medications (that didn
i would like to ask the same thing i get exactly the same symtoms ,i had a mini stroke where a clot was found in my brain but have recently started havinf tias i get all these symptoms too.

tracy
....I think it may be important to mention in my case that a ultrasound of my caratoid arteries and my heart after the TIA was normal.  Also, the EEG, Brain CAT Scan and Brain MRI showed no permanent damage or cause of the TIA.  These findings led them to conclude that the TIA was caused by high dosages of Motrin I was taken for a back injury which counteracted with the type of BP Med's I was taken.  I am 44 yrs old, over weight and in a very high stress job.  I have no motor or memory skills problems.  Just the nagging continual symptoms aforementioned.  As a side note, during testing they found that I had a previously unknown condition (Arnold-Chiari Syndrome w/Syrinx) but the neurologist concluded that I am A-symptomatic with that condition and that it had nothing to do with the TIA or the continuing symptoms I am experiecing. Hope this paints a clearer picture....
I had a TIA a few weeks ago (nothing found to cause it but large PFO in heart) and I too am having "residual" effects. I all of the sudden will get dizzy and confused, with tingling on my right side which lasts briefly and much less intense, but makes be believe another TIA is coming. My cardiologist said that when the brain is 'in shock' even briefly during a TIA, you can have symptoms...especially when one feels a bit of stress that a stroke may be impending and an asprin a day is all you have to work with. The more he talked, the more I felt he was saying it was all in my head...psychologically, not biologically. I also have an intolerance for caffenine and alcohol all of the sudden. 1 glass of wine feels like 2-3, and same for coffee. I hope it all stops soon.
its all very confusing especialy when you get symptoms and tias are supposed to be over in minutes ,well if that really is the case then iam having tias every day .

iam waiting for a scan on my neck as they didnt do this 5 years ago when the clot in my brain caused a stroke .they did lumber punctures ,scans and a heart scan but couldnt find where the clot came from.

my asprin as been upped to 300mg a day now but iam still feel all the symptoms as the lady above.

iam 36 and had my first stroke aged 29.

tracey
All these posts indicate how little neurologists can say with certainty about the brain.

I had my brain bleed stroke almost ten years ago, yet I still occasionally have recurrences of symptoms.  The stroke was caused by extremely high blood pressure (250/150) I take medicine now to keep the pressure down, of course. Still, every now and then there will be a burst of light
Well....in one sense it is reassuring that I am not alone.  In another sense, it is scary to think that there are very few answers.  Truthfully, I have 5 years to work until I can retire and retiring early isn't an option.  What I think is bizarre is the inconsistency in symptoms.  For the last 3 days I have had a terrible ringing in my ears that is driving me nuts.  Though don't understand why I went the 1st 3 weeks w/o this.  Yesterday for the first time I had a pulsating burning sensation in my left lower rib case that just took the breath out of me everytime it hit.  Went away about an hour later then had the same thing in my right upper chest, but only last 5-10 mins.  Also awoke several times during the night realizing that I was having a flushing of sorts in my head which seemed like a mild TIA, resulting in a rear of the head, headache.  I do however agree in part with it being psychological, as I know that my symptoms and the feeling of an onset of another TIA occur more often when I am stressed or thinking to much about my problem.  Though there are days where I wake up feeling great without a care or thought in the world and an hour or two later I start getting symptoms.  Anyone have a doctor prescribe you medication for Vertigo to address the nausea and dizziness? Thanks for sharing...I pretty much have no one to talk 2 about this as those who r close to me, I believe, think this is all in my head. What compounds this is the symptoms often mirror a more serious problem (ie, on-set of heart attack, full-blown stroke, etc) and there is probably more stress in trying to ignore it as just symptoms of the TIA and yet questioning myself, what if I am wrong and I do have the big one.  Ironically, I would want nothing more than for it to all just GO AWAY!
...more confused now than ever.  Saw my doctor today and he said that non of the symptoms I am experiencing now are directly related to the original TIA. In short, he believes the symptoms are being caused by anxiety (AKA - Its all in my head).  He feels that I am causing the anxiety by possibly thinking about the TIA and worrying that it is going to happen again.  Believe me if the symptoms disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't think about the TIA ever again.  Unfortunately it is impossible not to think about the TIA when I wake up in the morning and have half a dozen symptoms consistent with when I had the original TIA.  Its not like I'm making it up when half of my face is numb, I can't swallow, I have ringing in my ears that won't go away, and my arm and leg are limp and lifeless.  Maybe someone will post something here to shed some light on this for all of us who share in this.
i know what you mean ,back in 99 before i had my stroke i was sent to see the neurologist because i was having all these symtoms the worse being the pain in the back of my head ,he said it was stress to which i replied i wasnt stressed ,he asked if i had kids to which i told him i had a new baby and he replied "well there you are then its stress" no matter how much i told him i wasnt stressed he wouldnt listen ,1 month later i had a stroke with a clot found in my cerebelum.

so when a doc tells me its stress i told believe him ,i think they say that when they cant or cant be bothered to find an answer.

I swear that when i get to see my neurologist again and he says its stress i will flip.Iam fed up now with these symtoms .

tracey
hi: my husband had tia startd back in aug 05 had three since then he is 46. he now is out of work and has a problem talking. he is on many medications one being comidian which is a blood thinner to keep clots from going to the brain. he is now in physcal therpy and needs speech therpy. the neuro doctor says if he has one more his brain will not be able to handle it. when he had his 1st one my husband ingnored the signs and didn't go to the hospital. please if anyone has any kind of numbness it's not normal get right to the doctor. first came the numbness then the loss of speech. take care all.
I had a tia in july.  I still have symtoms that the neurologist says is in my head.  I lost strenght in my right side, was in rehab inpatient and out for 2 months. I think mine are caused by A-typical migrains.  I have one at least twice a week.  I still have dizzy spells with the headachs and fall.  I am afraid to drive but all test show I am ok.  I am seeking a second opinion and the dr wants me to have a neuropsych test anything about this test?
Hi!  I've been having health problems for about two+ years now.  As of now, no one can figure out what is wrong with me.  Symptoms include:  dizziness, mental confusion, visual disturbances (darkness followed by flashing lights in both eyes), clumsiness, heavy legs.  My neurologist is insistent that it is MS.  I have had an MRI and am awaiting results.  But just two days ago, while at my daughter's, she noticed how confused I was.  I was telling her about my father and called him grampy.  But she said I said Fred (my fiance) instead of grampy.  I heard it as grampy.  This is really bothersome to me.  One other day a few weeks ago, I walked into the kitchen talking to myself and realized that everything I said came out wrong.  HELP!
Hi,  I am a 32 yr old female and I recently had a possible TIA.  I had a cat scan about 10 days after the attack, an MRI 2 1/2 weeks after, bloodwork and the typical muscle strength tests. My attack suddenly occurred while I was in a chat room. I have had the occassional migraine headache since the age of 16yrs old, and I have had approx. 4-5 migraine auras within the last year.  One migraine aura occurring two days after the attack. The possible TIA attack occurred as I was typing and reading in a online chatroom as I said, began with a sharp headache at my left temple area.  Within about 3-5 min. instantly-what is called Alexia-I could not read the sentences,words I was looking at. It was not a visual deficit. I attempted to sound out each word extremely slowly like a child, trying to put together letter sounds to form each word. I couldn't do it. I am telling you I had to have looked and sounded like a mentally disabled individual. I yelled my husband's name 3 times but couldn't speak right to form full sentences. I could only get out partial sentences, speaking only the important clue words. My tongue for the first time ever went numb along with my upper lip and my right hand, which was also stiff. I definitely had anxiety at that point, but I couldn't speak clear enough for my husband,of whom I had awoken from a sound sleep,to understand that something was seriously wrong with me. This entire attack only lasted up to 30 min. If my perception of time isn't off.  I really don't have a question here, but rather want to let some of the others who have posted here know that there are other disorders etc. which have similar symptoms that they have posted of. I also have been seeing a neurologist for approx. 2 1/2 years and being treated for MS, though I am undiagnosed with MS at this time. My MRI's have been clear of visual lesions. MS has many sensory and other symptoms such as those some of you have posted AND if no lesions show up on MRI, there is no clear cut answer as to why you are experiencing these bizarre symptoms that you are. After the possible TIA that I experienced, the spasticity, tremors and twitching that I have experienced these past 2 1/2 yrs were occuring full force, including a migraine aura two days after the attack. I really do not know,nor do my specialists as to whether this attack was a TIA and a prompter for the MS exacerbation-if that is what's going on, or perhaps it could have just been an exacerbation of MS with rare symptom of alexia accompanying. I also have aortic valve and mitral valve insufficiency and saw my cardiologist today. I will be having a Transesophageal Echocardiography-TEE on Jan. 26, to check my heart and those valves, just in case they are spitting out small clots and caused a TIA.  Either way I am going to have to have some faith in God, my specialists knowledge/experience/education and continue to educate my self as well.  I know that it is difficult to not allow fear to take over, but you must not allow anxiety over "not knowing" cause even more symptoms. I also know that the anxiety can cause you to be hyper-sensitive to everything that you feel in your body. Even to those physical feelings which are normal. Keep a journal and be honest with your doctors. Hang in there. I hope you are able to find within you some comfort for your anxieties. btw. my nickname comes from living with two boys and my husband-too much testosterone! :o)  Take care