TIA and Residual Symptoms/Affects Afterwards

My question is, is it normal to experience continual affects of a TIA?   Some of what I have read here leads me to believe that a TIA is a stroke that totally reverses itself and all symptoms go away within 24 hrs.  Other postings indicate that if symptoms continue or periodically return, then that is an indication that it was more than just a TIA or that there are continuing problems.

The problems I continue to experience are occasional light numbness in the left side of my face, (nothing like the initial numbness on the day of the TIA which was on the Right side of my face), weakness and fatigue in my neck, right arm and right leg.   Sensitivity to foods and medications (that didn

It may or may not be another TIA - get it checked out.

Remeber a TIA is a warning, don't ignore it.

HTH

Sue
I had a TIA about 8 months ago and I still have residual symptoms.  My understanding was that they should be gone in 24 hours, but that's not been my experience.  I have memory issues, trouble finding the right words, spelling is hard now, sensitive to noise, visual disturbances.  When, I first got home, I spent a lot of time regaining some of my lost coordination and needed to sleep an incredible amount.  

Time is helping, I'm slowly getting better.  It's unguided, my neurologist tends to use migraines or stress as the cause, which I don't really think are the deal.  As someone previously posted he thinks its all in my head.  I'm taking the prescribed meds and try to remember it doesn't matter how it use to be, what matters is doing the best I can today.  

It's irritating at times, but, it is how it is...

It may be worth checking out info on Central Pain Syndrome - http://painonline.org & http://www.painonline.com - Also there is a support group: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/cps_alliance/

Some symptoms people are describing sounds all too familiar with Central Pain Syndrome.

Check out the websites and you'll be enlightened.

Peace to you all
Tanjarine
I'm so glad I found this thread! I have been diagnosed recently with "recurrent TIAs" - the first was when I was getting into my car and suddenly felt very weak on the right side. I saw my doctor and she put me in the hospital overnight for observation. A CT scan and all other tests turned up normal. Then a few days later, I felt like I couldn't move my tongue and it felt weird to chew, so I ended up back in the hospital for 3 days, again with all tests coming up normal (echocardiagram, carotid ultrasound).

Like others here, even though the diagnosis was TIA, I have had residual symptoms, especially in my right hand coordination and left leg/foot.  I also have some instances of numbness in my face and extremities. When I mention some of these symptoms, the doctors seem perplexed. Now, reading some of these accounts here, I'm wondering if they're thinking it's "all in my mind."  I'm scheduled for an MRI in two weeks so we'll see what that turns up.

Anyway, I had always read that TIA symptoms were supposed to resolve within 24 hours, but apparently that's not necessarily the case.
I had a stroke 8 months ago, aged 41, pfo was diagnosed although still waiting for cardiology dept at hospital to respond to this! I recovered well and after about 4 months i had no residual symptoms at all however about 6 weeks ago i started getting a "heavy" feeling in my left arm. i saw my gp who said that i didnt appear to have any weakness and that we should just "see how it goes" Has anyone else had this happen to them?  
I recently had a mini-stroke at age 51.   I am in excellent health, not overweight, and exercise three times a week. After three days in the hospital and many medical tests, a PHO was found, and an MRI showed that it was indeed a stroke.  One week after the stroke, I started having tingling in my right arm and leg.  My right eye was constantly tearing, and I had headaches off and on.  You have no idea how happy I was to discover this message board and realize that I was not alone.  I was amazed that many of you had the same symptoms as I have.  I know that stress can bring on symptoms, but I do think that even though I recovered completely, there are lasting symptoms long after a stroke.  I hope to have this hole closed soon, as I continue to fear another episode.
Good luck to all of you~
I'm 43 and 4 months ago I had a couple of TIA's, then a stroke a few hours later. It affected my right side, but I was back to normal a month later. Since that time I've also had tingling/numbness off and on in my cheek and arm on my left side. The opposite side from my stroke. It's not in my mind, not a panic attack, or brought on by stress. I was relaxing, sitting and watching tv a half hour ago and had the symptoms again. Of course whenever it happens I immediately think TIA. The symptoms usually go away within 15 minutes and aren't nearly as bad as my original TIA's though. But, like others have said, it's good to know other people that have gone through this are experiencing similar things.      
I've had 3 experiences with similar symptoms.
I had all the tests done and the only thing they found was a small pfo.I am taking aspirin daily.
Neurologist said it was a migraine stroke.
My BP goes very high(even though I'm on medication) whenever I go the doctors office, but is low at home.
I also have anxiety and agoraphobia. I was taking Lexapro for those problems, but I stopped the Lexapro after 4 years.Still have the same problems.
I have a Holter monitor on now and will have another thalium stress test at the end of the week.
The migraine strokes started about 5 years ago.
I'm thirty five, While sitting at my computer I felt a sudden knot in my neck, then came the the blurred vision, hearing loss, and numbness of extremities. I looked at my wife and said something is wrong. We wound up in the emergency room and I had a blood pressure of 177/117. I sat in the waiting room for three hours without being seen. I eventually walked out and saw a general practitioner the following day. I was trembling, anxious, fatigued, dizzy, panicked, and couldn't sleep through the night without having a severe panic attack. He prescribed a diruetic, xanex, and lexapro. This episode was two months ago and like previously mentioned some day's are okay, but then the panic, fatigue, and the ringing of the ears are very severe still. I also am getting the tearing of the eyes as well. I had a blood test that revealed a a calcium component which suggested a parathyroid condition. I then had a PTH/calcium test that fell within range. My doctor told me this is good news but no it is not, A parathyroid operation would have been an easy fix. I am now going through another blood test next week, upon my request to double check the calcium component again. My body feels like it has aged ten years since this happened and and am fearful the big one could just be right around the corner. I have a ten year old son that I want to see grow up. I am paying for this out of pocket, being a thirty five year old self employed healthy individual, I didn't have insurance.
I am a disabled veteran.  I am 30 years old.  I had a TIA last Friday and another yesterday.  I can't get any help.  They keep telling me that I am too young.  They tell me that about all of my medical conditions.  I am still having debilitating symptoms.  Dizziness, numbnmess, weakness on my right side, headache, nausia, and NoL appitite.  I have to force myself to eat.   They can't or won't see me until May 4th.  I can't drive and can't function.  My regular doctor said to go back to the ER but they just run test tell me to follow up with my regular doctor and send me home.  My symptoms are getting worse.  What do I do?
Allywall, I hope that you continued and/or continue to persist in getting a diagnosis as to what caused your TIA.  From the diagnostic procedures I am currently going through for the 2 TIA's I underwent this week, I know already that it's important not only to know you had a TIA but what caused it.  I went to the ER after my TIA's, but I was dumped in the hallway with no attention except an internist sitting next to me a couple of times over a period of over 5 hours saying it wasn't a TIA because I was on warfrin.  I saw my neurologist (also have MS) 3 days later, and he confirmed the TIA diagnosis.  Then, brilliant doctor that he is, ordered about 20 blood tests, an EKG, an ultrasound of both carotid arteries in my neck, an echocardiogram and a heart monitor.  This was yesterday, so I don't have results yet, but I know I am being taken care of.  Having said all this, I'm scared to death and still wonder if anxiety/stress can cause another TIA while I am waiting.  If anyone knows anything about the stress/TIA connection (if there is one?), please reply.  Best of luck to you allywall, for sure!
I had my first TIA about three and a half weeks ago. I know leading up to it i had been quite stressed for some weeks and had had high blood pressure. I think it encouraged it to happen but am sure it was probably a number of things that myself and the docters are not aware of.
I am 26 of age! About a year ago I went for migraines and the doctor told me it was stressed, gave me meds for pain, and let me go. I have no issues of High blood pressure, heart issues, or cholesterol problems. I can push through the pain until the end of March 2010 the migraines were so severe I went back. My General Doctor referred me to a neuro and they ordered tests. A MRI and a Echocardio with bubbles on April 8th. Thursday they called and said I had 2 strokes without knowing and that I had a hole in the heart (PFO). On the 12th of April I woke up at 3am with so weird symptoms but I pushed them aside. Then woke up at 8 and I couldn't use my right arm. I wen tto the doctor and he immediately sent me to the hospital (for a very short visit he said) because He didn't like my symptoms. I was in the hospital from the 13th to the 23rd because I had 2 strokes, every organs having issues, a hole in the heart, and blood pressure 44/32 for 5 days. Then I was released and I was rushed back to the hospital the next week for another TIA. They ordered me to close my hole in the heart. On May 11th that happened and it turns out that I had a very HUGE hole in the heart and they are surprised I was alive. I did not have the PFO I had the Atrium Septal Defect after the device malfunctioned because they didn't know it was that huge. All in all I thought everything was going to fix the migraines, exhaustion, numbness after the heart surgery until 3 weeks ago. I am now having migraines every day and having "episodes" where I the right side of my face swells and droops, I can't speak clearly, painful right arm, lose vision on right eye and blurry on the left eye. I am afraid to drive because it happens 3 to 15 times a day, everyday. All the signs of a TIA. I've called the doctor every time and he can't do anymore. First he thought I had an aneurysm, then tumor, now he thinks I have seizures. I am off all medication because nothing helps the pain for my migraine so He said don't take it. The doctor is not calling me back and I fear that I will be in a worse shape. Especially now my left side is having all the symptoms of the prior symptoms of the right side. So Question? Is it possible to have a TIA everyday. I don't think about having them until all of a sudden one minute I'm perfectly fine and in 2 seconds I have the episodes and everyone at works see's it and notices it. It's quite the topic. What would you recommend for me?

*Sorry for the long message but all of this happened in the last 2 and a half month***
This is a great thread! I am 32 years old and I had a TIA on Friday. It was extremely scary, I was home alone with my three year old son. I am still having some numbness and weakness in right side....I don't know if this is normal. My Dr. says it is a huge thing for your body to go thorugh so it needs a little bit of time to recover. Does this sound right? I am getting very frustrated and want to go back to living a completly normal everyday life.

I had what they think is a TIA attack while on vacation on Aug 12th, 2010 almost 1 week ago. I woke up fine, my husband let me sleep late and I was well rested. We were vacationing w/ friends and I had just picked up my god child from her high chair and taken her out to the deck to get some fresh air. Her father walked by to get something in the car when the attack happened. I suddenly got dizzy, out of the blue ands asked him to help me inside. They got me to lay down on the couch and I called for my husband because I knew something wasn't right. My friend said I was speaking slurred, I immediately got a headache on the right side of my head that went into my neck, numbness down the right side of my body down to my knee and pins and needles feeling on my face and hands. It was over before it began so I brushed it off but all symptoms didn't go away immediately. Two hours later I called my doctor upon everones urges and he told me to head straight to the hospital. When I got there they rushed me straight back and did bloodwork, EKG, MRI, CAT Scan, chest X-Ray that came up clean w/ no signs of stroke. Yesterday I went to my PC and he put me on 325 mg of Aspirin a day and I see a Neurologist tomorrow morning and have a ultrasound set up for my carodid arteries. I have had problems with vision in the past few months as well as a tightening on the right side of my face occuring. I have also had an MRI a few years back after seing a Nuerologist because I had symptoms of MS. They ruled that out. I have had some symptoms such as an annoying headache ever since the episode last week and some dizziness. I am hoping I will get answers in the coming weeks..
I don't think that there is a normal pattern with TIA it seems very complex to me and i think over simplified.  I had two strokes 16 months ago.I am 47 female. I have never smoked not over weight no blood pressure or problems with high cholesterol levels in my veins.  I have been on medication for 16 month but last week whilst at work suffered a mini stroke or so diagnosed and i had really bad visual problems just before hand and saw the room swirling-ling round  i had some sort of a seizure and was taken to hospital.  The brain scans show noting on my brain, but i feel worse from this attack that my first strokes that did show on my brain.  I seem to have developed a stutter and i have an uncomfortable feeling under my chest.  I feel less able than ever before I am very worried about everything i do and keep panicking i am seeing the doctor again tommorow and I do not know what the future holds for me. I feel like I have aged 10 years in the last year I have no confidence and feel topsy turvy I used to be so in control. I am now irritable I can't always think of the words i used to.  I cant concentrate I feel like such a loser,  I just want to be well again.   I was also diagnosed with celiac disease, wheat and gluten intolerance.
My Dad is 75 he had a mini stroke that has affected his left hand & arm its been a week today he is home from the hospital but he is now hearing singing in is head and he is hearing me & my sister voices talking to him and he is answering and were not there talking to him is this normal to be having after a stroke ??? nancy
I'm not a neurologist but if you cornered one off the record, I bet they would tell you that Neurologists, do not fully understand the all of the side affects of TIA's.

I'm a 57 year old male and a high school teacher. In Jan. 2009 I had a series of TIAs that landed me in the hospital for 3 days. I received an all clear no damage after a barage of MRI's, Sonograms on major organs. I was at a new high school which was a pressure cooker, stress wise. I missed almost 30 days out. Since I was a new teacher with this school district my contract was not renewed, since it was probationary(did not surprise me), I could not find a teaching position in my certification area, so I was unemployed for the '09-'10 school year. I've taught for the previous 15 years.
I have a bad back with Spinal Stenosis in the C7 and L2-S1 vertebra. I found another teaching position(I honestly didn't want to return to the classroom but I accepted it for the health insurance. In mid Sept., I had another TIA. Realtively short term in duration about 20-25 minutes. Since I was in a new town I saw a local neurologist, I expected to be hospitalized but he just referred me to a general practitioner. I was schedule for an EEG but I was concerned that a year w/o health insurance, it would be considered a pre existing condition.To make this as short as possible. I have never felt as mentally sharp since the first TIA, returning to the high school classroom at any high school expecially bigger high schools is a pressure cooker jobs, stress wise. I have started seeing an Orthopedist, I suffered a whole year w/o insurance and I could not find an Orthopedist that would even see me. So I endured the pain with some help from tramadol. As active and mentally sharp as a teacher needs to be, I find myself knowing that, I'm no longer doing my job well. I'm considering applying for a disabilty retirement, through Texas Teacher Retirement system. The two Orthopedist I have seen, the last being a pain mgmt. specialist, stated my Spinal Stenosis is treatable with epidurals, so that by itself would not qualify me for a disabilty retirement but with several TIA's in '09 and another just last September, would likely hold up, once I saw another neurologist for testing.

I'm just very stressed with my health situation. Is it possible that the TIA's have had some neurological effects that have effected my mental/cognitive sharpness, especially my memory, vision and speech. I'm not a basket case but I just don't feel well(lethargic) with all the meds I'm on for the TIA's and I'm taking Hydrocodone for my back pain or I could not last a full day in the classroom. I honestly have come to hate teaching and it's just compounded with my health issues. I'm depressed and feel like I'm trapped and it's just not worth the extreme pain(but that will be treated soon but this a degenerative disease with my spine) but it's sure not worth having a major stroke or heart attack over. I won't have to deal with Social Security and I've paid 16 years into my TRS plan and it's not like I'd get a huge amount to live on about $18,000 a year and if possible, I would like to possibly work part time, if possible, mainly for health insurance, if I can't qualify for Medicaid. Think I have a chance for a Disabilty retirement before something really bad happens and I'm an invalid or dead. Thanks,
One stressed out old teacher!!
John

Maybe I'm not crazy...

I had a TIA 3 weeks ago and am experiencing the same kind of symptoms many of you have written about.  I know everyone is different but has anyone ever get a Dr to admit that those symptoms after the TIA were related?  My Neurologist and a couple other Dr and even my Pharmacist say there should not be any lingering affects after 24 hours.  All I know is that I still don't feel right.  Most days my head feels like it's floating, disconnected type of feeling.  I know some of what I feel, like tightening in my chest at times may be anxiety but the foggy thinking every day???  I just don't buy the fact that symptoms that pop up right after a major neurological event aren't related!!

Thanks for the input..
Had a TIA while teaching in a classroom. It only lasted about two minutes however the lasting effects a month later is beginning to drive me nuts.
Some moments I feel great and the next minute I suffer from the following lingering effects that many of you have mentioned.
Headaches I've never had before, pressure on my right eye,slight dizziness,clumsiness,heavy legs,light headed,coordination off, floating lethargic, balance off and a disconnected feeling.
All tests were done and I do have a PFO that I'll be consulting with my doctor about today.
What you feel is not in your head. It is for real.
Seek God who is the only doctor who will understand what we are going through and how to cure us.
hi... I'm 36 years old, not overweight at all, fairly active tho i dont exercise at the gym etc.. I'm a smoker ............  i have been having TIA's for as long as I have been old enough to drink alcohol, and they do only happen when i drink, does anyone know why this is????????????? my aunt on my mothers side also has TIA's after drinking alcohol... so could this be hereditory im wondering???? on a night out i get anxious and am waiting for the TIA's to happen. they last for anything from 1-3 mins and then straightaway i am absolutely fine with no after effects.. i can have up to 6 in one night ..... i have not been to my GP as all he will tell me is to not drink (which i know i shouldnt!!) but i choose to do so as i have an active social life...... I'm just wondering if theres anyone out there who this happens to also... where the TIA's occur ONLY when drinking alcohol??????????
dec of 2010 the er doc said that i had a tia..i had right side weekness,slurred speech, and slight droopiness of the right side of my face..i can't right like i used to..etc..well i had a mri 2 weeks ago, today the doc said that my mri was normal, and that nothing showed up..sha said that tia's don't show up on a mri..but i have had the weekness,slurred speech and all the symptoms of a stroke since dec 2010, and it is now march 2011..so if it is not a stroke, and since tia symptoms don't last that long, then what the heck do i have..and it is not all in my head
None believes me i had a stroke three years ago.I couldnt speak back then and they kept taking me in and out of the hospital. Never did a cat scan or mri then. If all of you were ever disgnosed with a stroke, i never was and none believes me. its f frustrating. i want that hospital responsible for ruining my life.
I have a question in January 2011 i had a stent put in my leg because of Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) and all went well in May I was having a stent put in my right leg for PAD but once they got in was worse then they thought and doctor had to do a by pass surgery on my right legg came threw it fine back at work with in 3 weeks. Then in July i started have servere pain in my right leg leg would give out and shaking called my Primary Care doctor on July 7 and they said they was booked but can another doctor in another location well explained to her what was going on she didnt seem to concern like it was in my head told her that for me to go see the doctor i am in pain well what ever she gave me Montrin and flexall. Then on July 14 I was on my way to meet one of my clients at the food pantry around 8:00 AM i reamber talking to my clients father and told him i will be there in 10 min he was going to drop my client and leave. Right after that phone call i started seeing double and severe headache i guess i hit a truck dont reamber the inpact but due reamber talking to a men and he asked me what was wrong with me he said that i was acting like i was drunk or high i told him  I was'nt eaither he told me he should call the police i said please do he asked where i was going and i must of told him he told to go there and do not drive i got back in car and for some reason i took a pen out and wrote a liccese plate number down but still dont know what kind of truck or color well anyways drove to food pantry and hit another truck the man there said that no damage to his car not to worry dont reamber truck color or anything well for the next hour i was still in a daze my client was in side volunteering spoke with a few ladies in side but dont really reamber talkin to them. Then my sister called me she realized something was wrong because every few minutes i was asking her who i was talking to she said not to leave she will be there in 5 minutes she came i called my work to talk to my manager my co-woker said i couldnt reamber my mangers name or team leader name i talked to manager she said that she was seeding some one right over to drive my client home. My sister took me to the hospital and i was admitted by thiss time my leg didnt hurt anymore they ran test and my artery to the neck was fine but nothing showed that i had a TIA and they couldnt tell me what happened well my question is the pain that i was having in my leg could have been a blood clot that ended up bursting and where nothing showed up on the test is that still possibility the doctors never gave me a answer i had to see a nurolist a month latter and he said he doesnt know what happened eaither but i seem fine know
So good to find this forum.  I suffered at least one TIA based on the MRI, and from my symptoms probably two, three weeks ago.  I only found out from the MRI, and the hospital sent me home twice.  All the cardiology tests were negative.  But I knew something was seriously wrong. Why don't they listen to us?

My doctor has said there should be no after effects, but like many of you there are indeed after effects weeks later.  My speech is better, but still has some dead spots.  My typing is better, but I still can't see some of the mistakes I make and I type different words than I am thinking.  And I get soooooooo tired soooooooo easy!  

The worst thing is that nobody tells you anything.  I don't know if this is normal, I don't know if I should do anything different or take precautions.  My doctor just said to do as much as you feel like doing.  Try telling that to your boss!
It is certainly interesting to share the experiences of other stroke victims. Information is hard to come by.

I am a very fit 60 year old with no pre-conditions for stroke other than high cholesterol.  However, I suffered an ischemic stroke in September.  It initially took away all my visual processing capacity and my spatial memory and it was associated with an excruciating headache. I soon recovered but I was left with a loss of about 30 per cent of my vision.  I have occasional light-headedness and flushes of numbness which can affect much of my body.  Curiously, when the affected area is touched it returns normal sensations.

Overall, I count myself as being very lucky as it has not unduly handicapped me.  I can still read, watch TV and drive a car.  Walking can be uncomfortable but I swim over a mile most days.

My doctor has suggested that some of my symptoms may be migraine related.  The neurologist has largely been disinterested and did not even bother to look at the scans.

My concerns are similar to those voiced by many others.  It is difficult to know if recurring symptoms, including headaches, are foreshadowing another attack.  The flushes of numbness can be very uncomfortable and are becoming more widespread.  At times they also seem to be affecting my muscle which is new.  The impact on tongue and eyelids are particularly annoying.

I would be interested in knowing if others recovered sight after a stroke.   From what I have read, the numbness seems to be a persistent issue.

All the best.
Due to the difficulty making an accurate diagnosis', Neurologist in general just don't have answers. Some consider themselves right next to God, when you start, doubting or confronting them, that they're missing something and get negative with you. They have to keep the assembly line of patients flowing, so either refer you to another specialist. Since 2009, when I had my series of TIAs and was out of the hospital one day and starting having an excrutiating headache, and sensitivity to lights and sound, so back to the ER I went. Two days in Hospital again and no definitive diagnosis. I see my doctors on a regular basis, the only positive that came out of this was that my GP sent me to a Nephrologist. The Dr. put me on Monoxidil( meds for balding, which I'm not). My BP has been under control since.

I suffer the short term memory loss still, and very lethargic. I'm on 9 meds, which I believe adds to my lethargy. Those two problems alone make my job as a high school teacher very difficult to impossible. My contract year in 08-09 was not renewed. Couldn't find a position until the next teaching year. I didn't want to return to the classroom but I accepted the job mainly for the health insurance. Missed 40 days, mainly due to my back problems, my contract again was not renewed again. At almost 59, I'm going to have a very tough time finding a teaching job or a job period. I do not want to return to the classroom. With my health issues. I've had epidurals, and various other spinal diagnostic test diagnostic test, including Neurotomies for the L5-S1 region, they didn't work. Looks like invasive back surgery next. I'm going to go ahead and apply for a disability retirement through Texas R.S. My worst problem now is my back pain. If I was a horse, at least they would put me down and out of my misery.

Back to residual back problems from my MRI's. I just haven't been as mentally sharp as I was previously. When you have a high school class of 30 students and you have a memory lapse, while lecturing, it's hard to playing it off. I have great emphathy for the people that have had TIA's and their frustrations, when all tests return normal. I'm just as frustrated, tired and depressed as you other victims. Good luck!
JT
Csn u tell me more  because my dad is having the same problems.  Plzzzz.  Reply to my comment
I'm sorry to hear of your fathers medical problems. I actually had a neurologist tell me, that many Drs. still don't fully understand TIAs and long
after effects can continue and if they really exist. Symptoms vary greatly from patient to patient. If you bring up disability applications, many Drs. start back peddling because they don't want to deal with the paperwork. It's a shame, that things have to progress to very negative end results. I'm surprised that more frustrated patients that have menatlly unstable, haven't taken a pistol with them and shoot their specialists. I don't condone this but..............
Male - 25 years old

Glad I found this forum!

I had an experience three weeks ago where my left arm felt heavy, achy and numb. this was followed by the same sensation in my leg and face (left). I realized this wasn't normal and went to A&E. I was kept in the hospital for three days. The numbness lasted a little under 24 hours.

In this time I had blood tests and an MRI scan. All results were clear!

I told the first doctor (who was very helpful) that I work 6 days a week in a stressful job and I drink quite heavily on a weekend. I also told him that I had 'STUPIDLY' taken cocaine once two weeks before I went to hospital. He told me that I was having a mini stroke and the cocaine use was nothing to do with it as it was too long before the event. He then explained that stress and alcohol was probably the main cause.

HOWEVER! - After being moved to a different ward I was discharged from the hospital by a different doctor who told me my tests were all clear and I shouldn't use cocaine! I took this advice on board. The doctor also told me I wasn't allowed to drive for four weeks. The discharge letter that was sent to my house said nothing of a mini stroke. Instead it said I had experienced vasospastic phenomenon and the use of cocaine could be a factor.

Three weeks later I am experiencing the same symptoms as a lot of the people in this discussion. HEAD ACHE, LIGHT HEADED, LACK OF CONCENTRATION, SENSITIVE HEARING, DIARRHEA and TIREDNESS.

I believe what I experienced WAS a mini stroke, I also believe the symptoms I am experiencing are linked. It seems to me that this is a real problem for a lot of people.

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow as I am not happy, and I will be back in the hospital next week for my clinic appointment.

I know I can't give any advice to anyone but I thought it would maybe comfort some people with the same after effects of a mini stroke. I hope you all find the answers you are looking for!
Thank you for that. I had my "suspected" TIA on tuesday or wednesday. I don't do Cocain or even drink and it still got me. I do have (or had) a very stressful job (military) so luckily I can retire soon. All this information says it should have only lasted up to 24 hours. But I went three days before my doctor took real action. She's a great doctor but on the second day of the attack or what ever, when I went to see her for a different reason, I had told her that I was EXTREMELY dizzy and fatigued and she ran some test to see if I was dehidrated and of course, I wasn't. I went back the next day because the symptoms had become worse, that's when she called the ambulance. It's been 5 days and depending on the hour, I get the symptoms back, to include weakness on my left side. I am a diabetic as of last year after I returned from Iraq. I hope everything works out for you and thank you for your post and this forum. I don't want to talk to anyone or my family as to not alarm them. I see my doctor on monday and have many questions, but if I still get the symptoms, I'm just wondering when they "go away". I am 54 years old, not obese, exercise, have good colesterol but just quit smoking the day I got out of the hospital (friday). The big question is "am I part of the 10% that experience a major stroke within 90 days?
Why I am telling you this is because I've led a pretty healthy life for the past 20 years and it still bit me pretty hard. Hang in there.
I can relate and mine happened almost identical to yours with ringing of the ears, next week i am scheduled for a ct scan by my neurologist
thanks for what you have shared, for i thought i was all alone.
sincerely James Juergensen
yahoo e-mail using the same name ok, if you need any support
take care of yourself now
Hi!  Did you have a MRI after the TIA?  I just had my second one and the MRI doesn't show anything.  I have weakness on my left side that I am going to therapy for and she said based on some of her test it appears I could have some vascular issues??  Anyway, just curious how your MRI looked.  Mine shows no sign of foreseable stroke.  
Thanks!!
Had all the symptoms of a mini stroke. Name it, I experienced it. Arrived at ER and they ran a series of tests, told me to smile and said I was drooping in my weak side, (one side was almost limp, ARM and leg) and did a scan to see if I was showing bleeding in the brain. Nothing was found so they told me and my wife they had a clot busting drug that could save or kill me in so many words. I weighed my options and had them administer the drug. I was air lifted to a better facility as it was given and the rest given in the chopper on the way. I began getting use of my hand and leg ten minutes into the trip . After arriving at the better equipped hospital, I began to see a little improvement. Everyone in the room said I had obviously had a stroke. No doubt. They kept telling me to try to squeeze two of their fingers every few hours as well as multiple other tests. I was progressing slowly until the third to four hour and suddenly started seeing rapid improvement. By 7 in the morning, (started at 5 or so the previous day) I was 90% back to strength. I was so happy. During the night several tests, scans etc were done and each doctor, neurology doctor etc said it was an obvious stroke based off symptoms and other factors. Later in the day I did more tests but was told the following day that nothing was found on any if the tests. Cf scan, mri etc showed nothing. The third day I was almost 100% strength in my limbs but when I went to walk with the therapist, I made one short trip down hall and was weak as a kitten....still had full use of previously limp limbs but very tired and weak. Could not function weak. She said I didnt need therapy based off my walk and left. Later the nutologist came in and said nothing was wrong with me. Then later the admitting doctor said the same Jung, that I was ready to be let go and could go back to work etc immediately....I told him I was getting so weak after only a few steps. He said I was fine and to go home . How can this be in this case that everyone from the admitting ER team to the best doctors all said obvious stroke but when nothing turned up on scans, they wanted to send me home and say I was fine??? I did have members of my church come in and pray with me and I know the power of God can do all things. Perhaps that is the reason. I just wanted to know if there is anything that may have mimiced a stroke to this level that would completely reverse and show no sign or physical damage as this did?
One night when I went to bed I woke up and seen black spots in my center vision (I could see pereferally), I blinked a few times and it went away.  About a week later I was again sleeping and woke up and looked up and there was a veil of black cobweb-like lace coming down over my vision, again, I blinked a couple of times and it went away.  I went to the opthalmologist and he dismissed it as my floaters.  This past week again while I was sleeping, I woke up and my eyes were so blurry it felt like they were crossed! I blinked them a bunch of times and finally my vision came back! I went to the opthalmologist the next day and he said my eyes are fine and he couldn't figure out what was wrong with me and he's actually never heard of that before. So I've been researching online (which isn't always the best thing to do) and I've come up with retinal problems or TIA! I didn't have any other symptoms of TIA, just the blurred vision and blind spots that clear up a few seconds later. I'm scared I'm missing the signs for TIA and I'll have a full blown stroke soon!
I'm not sure if I had a TIA last night and need some insight. Last night I went to sleep at around 920pm then i woke up around 10:00pm because i had to use the restroom suddenly, as I was sitting on the toilet I felt extremely dizzy and had a vertigo type feeling. I peed for a lot longer than usual and my ears felt blocked with ringing. Also my left side went completely weak. My face never drooped bu if felt like it did. I'm not sure if this was caused by dizziness from getting up to fast, anxiety or a TIA. I don't have medical insurance and I'm no sure if i should go talk to a doctor anyway.  The symptoms lasted for a couple of minuets and then went away. Im not sure as to why i would be having this problem. I am 23 less then 100ibs and around 5'6. I have no known medical problems and I dont have high blood pressure. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be. Its making me very stressed and nervous.
Please stop the drinking! Before my stroke I had also started having intolerance for beer. After 1 sip sometimes I would feel crazy drunk, but kept sipping anyone. I wonder if I had quit drinking and smoking could I have prevented stroke.
Hello, I don't know what is wrong with me.  The left side of my body went numb and went to sleep.  I went to my dr who sent me to the er room.  They did tests on me but was unable to determine what was wrong with me due to all the tests coming back clear.  I will be having an eeg in a couple of days.  My problem is that I'm having a hard time talking and my body tires easily what do I do and how do I handle this situation?  I am unable to work and unable to go to school :/
This post may be a little late in coming, but I was discharged from the hospital this past Friday after suffering what they think was a TIA. Echo showed increased pressure in my heart, but no explanation from Dr (no insurance for me), and mild plaque in carotid artery. I'm on the cardiac diet, baby aspirin per day, and cholesterol meds.  I also have a leaky mitral valve.

Anyway, Some things can certainly be 'in your head,' but I was reading some of your 'after' symptoms... and mine are identical.  Maybe it's not all in our heads.  Not sure.  But this is scary. I know that the TIA I apparently had was incredibly frightening and I still have dizzy bouts days after, shortness of breath (ongoing for a while).. and chest pain that has that right side component you were speaking of.  also, My brain is SO not working correctly.

I recorded the awful sounds my lungs make when exhaling sometimes (never have smoked) and my dr asked me to play it for her (it's on my iPhone).. she handed me my purse and I opened it.. took out my wallet, opened it.. and couldn't figure out for the life of me what I was supposed to get out of it... that's just ONE example. I can't think.  I mess up my words terribly.  Short term memory is SO shot.

I hope this can be resolved.. for all of us... in good time.

Blessings all.
The Medical community can stick to that definition of temporary if they want, but I am sure it is incorrect, from my own experience and from reading ALL the comments over the years on this post...Symptoms can obviously persist or worsen. I had a TIA six months ago and am still struggling with short term memory loss, and communication problems. I had near photographic memory prior to TIA, so this is a huge loss for me. In Communication specifically, I can think of what I want to say but it takes a long time to form words, the words come out in the wrong order or complete words are dyslexic. Unfortunately for all my relationships, I also can't stop myself from saying exactly what I am thinking and its as if I have lost the filter of common sense. HUGE problem in business and relationships. If I drink alcohol it becomes worse and if I am under stress. Now signs of depression and anxiety are creeping in and its actually all getting worse instead of better.  There really is no FIX for my symptoms....:(
So glad I found this forum, I experienced severe numbness down left arm and body last Tuesday morning this lasted for less than a minute, thought I had a mini stroke, went to my GP who done a ECG test on me which came up clear, she then sent me to hospital who then done more tests ECG, Heart and Lung Xray on Tues afternoon they came back clear, Had a CAT Scan on Wednesday which has also come back clear. Was sent home yesterday with the explanation that they now think it was due to nerve damage on my neck.an injury from 12 years ago.....mmm ..I am not convinced after reading all these posts , I relate to so many of you. What I did tell them that as a very fit 54 year old woman who never was breathless before suddenly becomes breathless whilst walking and having severe pain in the back of my head when I stand up but they seemed to disregard this ....What I am finding today is that I am exhausted and can only seem to manage to move around for a half hour or so and have to sit down again...This cant be right...
My husband was having problems walking and falling.He broke his L1 vertabre. and another time he fell and broke multable ribs.He was 76 at the time.He walked like he was getting parkinsons. One day we were in the car and he could'nt get his words out. I wrote everything down how he was doing and went with him to his Dr. and told him everything.I told him I thought he had a TIA. I asked his Dr if he would send him for an MRI.He said no he needed to go to a neoroligist and he would give him one.The neuroligist could not see him for 23 days.I begged them to see him sooner.But they said they were all filled up.On the 22 day he had a major stroke.He had rehab for as long as ins would pay.He was getting some better but got pneumonia.Now hes in bed all the time at a nursing home,paralized, confused, I think hes got after stroke dementia.
I could have written your story.  This exact thing has happened to me
several times.  Yes, I believe God and the power of prayers is what
has caused us to be living today.
I also believe the only weapon the enemy has is "fear".  My husband and I are in a ministry and it seems like we have been attacked since day one.
All my episodes are mimicking strokes - but all the tests come back clear and the Drs. are dumbfounded.  They tried to blame it on High blood pressure because it rises during these episodes - but that just turned around and gave me severe side effects.
Blessings on you and your family and hope you continue to be well.

This sounds very similar to what my mother is experiencing currently.  Did you ever get full diagnosis / treatment?  Thank you for any insight you can provide.
Paxil almost killed me!  I had seizures after starting to take it. Got to the point of not being able to walk, talk, or use my arms. Lost all muscle strength. My glucose level was out of control. All due to Paxil!
This is really strange.   If there are this many people suffering from TIAs with ongoing complications then what are the neurologists saying?   Is there any research on the TIA residual affects?
I'm very worried.  I'm a 6th grade teacher who has been off from work for two months now after suffering from two TIAs.  Since then I've had a hysterectomy to treat anemia. I've also been diagnosed with Graves Disease.  I struggled with all of the residule symptoms such as left side tingling, slight muscle weakness, insomnia, panic attacks, ect.  My main concern is that my neurologist or PCP cannot figure what my problem is. We sure pay s lot money for them not to really understand why people have TIAs and continue to do so even when they've changed how they've lived their lives
Meclazine is a med for vertigo however, having a TIA it brings NO relief of the dizziness nor stops the headaches, ringing in ears, chest pains and horrible hot flashes that play havoc with my heart beat. I also have terribly low blood pressure as well as weight loss and no one has been able to help me. I am 43, full hysterectomy over 13 years ago, have always had low blood pressure, Bell's palsy 3 times now ( every 6-7 yrs), and am sick and tired of Doctors chalking it up to anxiety!!!
Lyme
I had a tia three months ago on my right side,since then I have been having light pains on the same side of my head past two weeks I been having numbness on right and sometimes left ear , even chewing is proving to be difficult on the right side