Aa
A
A
A
Close
Stroke Community
3.2k Members

T.I.A. vs. stroke and symptoms

I am 34, very healthy, and was recently diagnosed as having a T.I.A caused by (report says) 'traumatic left vertebral artery thrombosis' and 'embolic infarct of low brain stem and cerebellum secondary to traumatic left vertebral artery thrombosis.' So far it can only be explained/caused by squat workout with unpadded barbell across back of neck a couple days prior that maybe damaged the artery, which developed a clot which broke off pieces into my brain in 3 areas (infarcts). Blood tests for disorders or hereditary problems all show nothing. Symptoms still apparent are mild imbalance (everyday gets better) and numbness/loss of temperature sensation on right side of body (skin only - can feel pressure, touch, wind across skin, etc). No speech impediment or loss of motor skills. There is some general weakness - like i just got my *** kicked at a bar. Any chance of symptoms going away over time?
1 Responses
445232 tn?1233653164
Hi

Sorry to hear about your episode :(

You say the diagnosis is TIA, however you also mention that you have areas of infarct in your brain stem.  An infarct is an area of dead tissue, so I would suggest that you have in fact had a (seemingly) mild stroke.  However I'm not a doctor & that's their job to diagnose you.

The good news is that thingsdo get better over time, albeit slowly.  Keep doing things to help with your weakness but do pace yourself.  You may find your stamina decreased from before - don't push too hard, your brain need time to recover & rewire.

All the best

Sue
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease