Stroke Forum

TIA

I had TIA three days ago, only stayed in the hospital for about nine hours, but never had any scans etc.  Going back for them.  I am 37 years, since coming out of hospital, have had headaches but on the left side of my head, which was the side i lost all the feeling in.  My left hand keeps feeling numb, and I cannot feel my left cheek.  Not sure if this is normal?  Thankyou
Hi Nicky,

A transient ischemic attack or TIA, often referred to as ‘mini stroke’ is caused by  changes in the blood supply to a particular area of the brain, resulting in brief neurologic dysfunction that lasts for less than 24 hours. If symptoms persist for more than 24 hrs. then it is always categorized as a Stroke. Since you experienced the symptoms three days back and they are still persistent most probably you have suffered a Stroke. The symptoms that you are experiencing- numbness of left hand and cheek also support the probable diagnosis.

A stroke is a medical emergency and may cause permanent neurological damage and serious complications. A stroke can occur due to ischemia (lack of blood supply) caused by thrombosis or embolism or due to a  brain hemorrhage. As a result, the affected area of the brain is unable to function, leading to movement disability on the affected side, inability to understand or speak, or visual disturbance on that side. Stroke symptoms are experienced on the opposite side of the brain that is affected. For example, if there is a clot on the left side of the brain, weakness, numbness or inability to move the arm or leg is experienced on the right side of the body. You must have suffered a stroke on the right side of the brain since you are experiencing the symptoms on the left side of the body.

The diagnostic tests for Stroke include CT scan (without contrast), MRI, Doppler ultrasound and arteriography.  

A stroke is treated with thrombolytics, along with supportive care that includes speech and language therapy and physiotherapy. Secondary prevention of further Strokes can be achieved with antiplatelet drugs like Aspirin and Dipyridamole, controlling blood pressure and carotid endarterectomy and anticoagulation in some patients. The treatment plan depends on the cause of Stroke.
Hope this answer helps you. Please go for the diagnostic tests as soon as possible and start the treatment. Sometimes there are chances of repeated Strokes so a timely treatment is extremely necessary. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!

A related discussion, Husband  suffered a stroke 3 weeks ago was started.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease