Stroke Community

Type of Stroke Query

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help. I am an Occupational Therapy student and I have been giving a case study about man who has had a stroke, which I have to present on Tuesday the 22nd of January 2012. I was just wondering if you could help me clarify something, I would really appreciate it.

The man in the case study was admitted to the acute stroke ward via A&E 4 days ago. He had been experiencing headaches for a few days prior to this and was not on any medication prior to admission. He remained unconscious for several hours but is now conscious and able to communicate. He has been given a diagnosis of CVA causing dense left sided weakness affecting upper and lower limbs. He is currently incontinent of urine but has regained bowel control in the last 24 hours. He has not had a CT scan yet due to a fault with the scanner.

I was wondering if you could help me clarify the diagnosis, I was thinking that the man has had a hemorrhagic stroke of some sort, due to the fact that he was experiencing headaches a few days prior to the stroke. However a CT scan would be required immediately if a hemorrhage is suspected...could an MRI be done instead and if so do you think it sounds like a hemorrhagic stroke? Thanks a million for taking the time to read this, I would be extremely grateful of a response.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

With the headache or the clinical symptoms presented, it is difficult to say whether it is a thrombotic or a hemorrhagic stroke. Stroke can be ischemic or hemorrhagic. Ischemic stroke occurs as a result of blockage to an artery. Hemorrhagic strokes are due to bleeding and more common in patients on blood thinners. Yes it is possible to detect if the stroke is hemorrhagic or ischemic, with an MRI.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.