Stroke Community

Vitamins/Herbs

I was put on Aggrenox/Aspirin after my stroke about 2 months ago.  Does anyone on the same treatment take any kind of Vitamins/Herbs with this medication?
The only thing you have to worry about is not taking Vitamin K especially because it causes blood clotting while on aggrenox.  The other natural blood thinners include vitamin E, garlic, onions, and vitamin C because they also thin blood.  That's why doctors tell you not to take these vitamins before an operation.

My mother had a stroke about 5 months ago and we are considering opening the blood thinning aggrenox capsules and giving her half the dosages with applesause.  She is already on the lowest dosage available.  It's always a crapshoot to take the chance to alter medication as your doctor will tell you.

The only thing aggrenox does is allow the blood to get through areas where the passages are very small due to calcification etc., so keeping the blood thin is important.  BUT the other option is chelation which will also clean out blockages.  It's expensive but absolutely works.  I worked in a chelation center for over a year and saw amazing results.
Thank you for the information.  I am on Coumadin now.  I guess the Aggrenox was not working that well.  The Coumadin is bringing my INR up.  Is there any Herbs that you know the interact with Coumadin?  I would love to take some Colon Cleansers.  Thank you.

Many herbs, foods, drinks interact with warfarin (coumadin) so be very, very careful; some increase, some decrease INR.

Please discuss your diet & all other medications, herbs, etc with the person who prescribes your coumadin.

To help educate yourself on food interactions, this link http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/coumadin1.pdf is a good starting point.

I thnk the key is consistency, not chopping & changing all the time.

HTH

Sue