Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What is the name of the disease

I had a mild stroke 2 yrs. ago and discovered that I was diabetic.  During a Dr visit soon after, I told my Dr that I was worried about the next one now that my body knows how to have a stroke.  He said that they were treating me to prevent that next one from happening but said that he was worried about ''something' disease' (another word + the word 'disease') and I can't remember what he said the name was.  I remember looking it up on the internet at the time and some of the symptoms were short-term memory loss, loss of balance and short steps when walking.  Do you know what he was referring to?  He has since left his practice and is working at one of the hospitals recruiting Dr's as internists for the hospital.  His replacement (recommended by him) has no idea what he was talking about (real promising).  Can you tell me what he was referring to?  I will remember it if I hear it or see it.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am not a Dr. and this is a total guess given its impossible to be sure what your Dr was referring too, but with the small description you provided in your post -  of loss of balance, memory loss and short steps when walking, could it be parkinsons disease?  Parkinsons is not normally associated directly with stroke or diabetes though, but I guess they can occur together (or not), if that makes sense.

Another thought would be peripheral artery disease (PAD), which would potentially make more sense given your history of a mild stroke.

Not sure if those suggestions help at all.

Fiona
Helpful - 0
It wasn't Parkinson's disease.  I had told someone here at work via an email but that note has since been deleted.
Helpful - 0
Ed, could he have said NPH, or normal pressure hydrocephalus?
Your symptoms fit, but usually there can be incontenence (sp?) and a cat scan usually shows enlarged ventricles.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Stroke Community

Top Neurology Answerers
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease