Stroke Community

after effects of a TIA

A week ago I had a Tia. I was unable to speak and could not move my left arm or leg. This went on for about an hour and 15 mins. After a night in the hospital, and an Mri and other scans. I was released. I was told I should have no side effects. But  now I have bad head aches on my left temple and I get a stabbing pain on my temple and neck, that last that last just several seconds.
    Also my speach has been effected slightly. Often I will be talking and a word will pop in a sentence where it doesnt belong, and I forget just what I want to say.
   Could you tell me how long these symptons last?
     Thank you
        jjjtll
I too am having these same symtoms, it has been a month tomorrow since I had my TIA, and I have also had more numbness, and weakness of my right arm since I was released. I too am trying to find out how long this will last, because this VERY seriously affects my job (I am on phone calls all day) The speech comes and goes for me, depending on how long I have been talking for.
I had 4 TIA's in 27 days, the last one was 25th January. I still don't feel well enough to return to work (I'm a school teacher); the extreme fatigue and a feeling that my brain isn't as well "tuned-in" as it used to be are holding back my recovery .... I don't feel that I've made any progress over the last fortnight! Frustrating isn't it?

Julie
Julie how are your symptoms now? It has been six weeks for me. Very slow progress.
I was so glad to read these posts. I was begining to think that I was doing this to myself. I also have a hard time with my speech and thought patterns as well as fatigue, even doing the smallest chores. I had a cluster of tia's about two weeks ago and I get the feeling that when I tell others about the persistent symptoms they think I'm milking this. Thank you for your comments and wish you all a speedy recovery
i had a stroke on 22nd october thank God i am able to walk  etc however i am sooooooooooooo tired and my short term memory is really bad. has anoyne else experienced sensitive hearing.my hearing is like th e bionic woman i hear everthing and it irritates the hell out of me. apart from my tolerance level being non existent i have still manged to keep my friends. i am soooooooooooooo miserable and argue non stop with my boyfriend.like you i talk but very very quickly and forget what i want to say. my speeech slurs when i am tired or get tired of talking.julie i am so sorry to hear that you hvave had so many attacks over such a short period of time no wonder you dont feel like tyou are not progressing.i myself am extremely frustrated ani am stuill very tired my left han still needs some work. ido not go back to wor before you ar fully recovered. how old are you julii f you dont mind me asking and whathave they said about the amount of attacksyou have had/causes etc. i am 36 and my fear is tha t i could have another one.  i hope not.
thxx 4 your comments...
I thought I was just crazy. I just cant seem to get my energy back. My speech is far less then desirable and I cant keep my thoughts together. sometimes I feel I've run a marathon with the smallest of task. the doctors before my PFO closure asked if I was depressed..... well, my life has stopped as I knew, I wish they could understand, YES... I am depressed. It is depressing to loose your abilty to connect your thoughts, to loose your ability to connect with others and to loose your ability to connect with your normal life. I have a hard time making it through the day.
I keep saying I have super sonic hearing omg every noise or baby crying or dog barking or whatever scares me to death and kills my ears. And nice to know other people with TIA's are still having issues, I was told after a TIA all your symptoms would go away that is why with me they didn't think it was a TIA even though everything I experienced was very stroke like.
Oh I also wanted to ask, when you had a MRI or CT scan did it show that you had a TIA or did all your scans come back normal??
Hi all, I had a stroke when I was 21 years old, It was a small stroke and due to my age and stamina only took me 4 months to recover, since then I have been on no medication.

I am now 30 years old and now looking back have begun to realise that the problems I am experiencing could be due to TIA's and side effects of the stroke. I am very "up and down", have (which is the opposite to some) very bad hearing. But the worst of whatever is happening to me is the "jekyll and hyde" one momment great the next angry, aggressive, depressed, lost, suicidal, and find this very difficult to control. This lately has been getting worse. I have very little energy and sleep most of the day. I have no speech problems but a very bad memory and short term attention span. Sometimes I feel totaly lost and do not understand why, I have a very understanding girlfriend (thanks god !) but now she's finding this hard to cope with.

Within the last two years I had what seemed to be two mild (but very quick) strokes, and had to be hospitalised. Do these symptoms sound like TIA'S or side effects of strokes.

If anyone could offer any advice or anything to help I would be most grateful !! Thank You !
hi  i had what hospital say 3 mini strokes within 3 months   im still feeling weak on left side . short term memory loss ; exhausted most of time and noises get too me  ;concentration not good either   . mri test showed multiple white dots  does anyone think this is normal ? i feel i should be ok now.
I had a TIA less then a month ago, I have problems with:: concentration and balance.  I also confuse numbers, insert words and stammer when I talk.  I know what I want to say, it just doesn't come out.  Some days are better then others, bad days I feel like I am a fog others like my old self.  Everything I read states the side effects last only 24 hours.  It is very frustrating and scary.  My doctors are not sure what is going on.  I am relieved to see that I am not loosing my mind, that the side of effects do last or manifest in different forms.    Does anyone know of ways/exercises to reduce these symptoms?
Thanks to all of you for detailing your symptoms.  I had a mild TIA (aren't they all supposed to be mild?) in September '08. I experienced the same sensitivity to sound others have described, and and a low grade, two week headache. I rarely get headaches...

Since then a specialist has prescribed Lipidor--my "bad" cholesterol was high, as was my "good" cholesterol. I also take 81 mg of ASA a day. I've felt fine, mostly, since October, but do have spells of muddling words, losing vocabulary, and confusion. I'm a 58 year old woman and sometimes think these symptoms are also menopausal.  Recently I've been experiencing constant fatigue--very low energy and the sense of no strength in my legs.  I've been quite fit and active--cycling to work, walking a lot, etc.  But now it takes huge effort to walk half a mile.I'm also quite depressed--limited enthusiasm for anything. Sometimes I wonder if I'm having TIAs in my sleep.  How would I know? Or is any of this related to the original "event"?

No solutions, I figure. Just wanted to drop in and add my two cents to others' contributions. Hang in there, everyone

Just dropping in