Thanks in advance for any input / thoughts. The last couple days have been the most trying of my life. I am listing the events that have happened the last 2 days and please send your thoughts, similar experiences, links for info, etc. Anything would be so greatly appreciated:
- Brother is 28 and in solid health... non smoker, no alcohol, very active, and not overweight.
- Had leg failure 12:00 yesterday
- Recieved CT scan and emergency surgery approximately 1.5-2 hours later to remove aertery clot that was stopping all blood supply to legs...there was significant danger of both legs being lost as he arrived completely paralyzed in feet/legs.
- Finished surgery, successful. Many clots impacted from top of legs to toes with one major clot at the main blood supply point to legs (sorry for the uneducated analysis). Thank the Lord he was able to move toes on right and left feet as he emerged from anesthtics...pulse on both feet. Was able to say a few simple words,,,, approx 7:30 - 8:00
- Unfortunately, there was also a lack of physical skills/speech after the surgery.
-- CT scan of brain immediately after surgery.
- Doctors determined that he suffered a stroke possibly during or near the end of leg surgery.
- Blood thinners adminstered approx 11:00-midnight.
- Overnight, my brother showed more and more symptoms of stroke as he fully lost all control of right side and speech.
- Morning, swelling in brain... steroids administered.
- Morning to current, he seems to have stablized from my own observation... doctors think that swelling is at max and will not swell further. I am praying this is the case
His mind seems very intact. Btu very tired
Doctors stated that all clotting has ceased.
Possible histroy factor... my brother had a germinoma (sp?) when he was ten... brain cancer... has been cancer free for 18 years... very active, healthy, non smoker, good diet, etc..
- Doctors are saying this condition is very rare... clotted arteries in a healthy 28 year old. Any thoughts or similar experiences?
- Due to his younger age and health, is there a little better chance he could re-gain control of his Right limbs and speech?
- I was told by friend that red blood cells disintegrate at 118 days and this includes clots. Also told that swelling of brain is common with strokes... are these true?
Any thought extremely appreciated. Thank you again